Click for SMOKING FAST SATA 6G SSDs!
Maxtor's DiamondMax Plus 40B
Results in a Beige G3/333 with onboard ATA/3 (16MB/sec) Controller
Tests by Chad Mathes
(Updated 4/28/2000 for Turbomax ATA/33 card test results)
As noted in my earlier review of the Plus40 Maxtor drive in a B&W G3 with ATA/33 (33MB/sec max) interface, I expected lower performance if used with the onboard Beige G3's ATA/3 (16.6MB/sec) controller. Chad Mathes sent a list of benchmark tests that shows the results of tests in a Beige G3/333. (For results with a Turbomax ATA/33 card - see the update below.)
About Beige G3 IDE Slave Support: For those that are not aware, a second IDE drive on the same cable is called a Slave (the primary drive is the Master). Rev 1 Beige G3 (ATI RageII+ DVD chip on motherboard, rev 2's have ATI RagePro chip) do not support IDE slave drives. See my Beige G3 IDE Upgrade Guide for more info.
Test System Hardware Summary
- Apple Beige G3/333MHz rev 2
- 128mb RAM
- 6mb Video RAM
- DVD-ROM Drive
- Audio/Video In/Out Personality Card W/DVD Hardware Decoder
- PCI Slot 1: Original SCSI Controller Card for 9.1gb SCSI Drive
- PCI Slot 2: USB Card
- PCI Slot 3: Microconversions Game Wizard Voodoo2 12mb
Hard Disk Setup:
The 9.1GB SCSI was the only item on the SCSI PCI card.
The Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus 40gb was on the only item on the primary IDE bus.
The DVD-ROM was the only item on the secondary IDE bus.
The 9.1gb SCSI Drive is a Quantum Viking II, and was 56% full at testing time.
Chad also commented:
"I could not clear off the SCSI drive at time of testing, but i benched it a while back when it was empty, and it was only +1-3mb faster in ATTO SCSI Bench."
Benchmark Test Results - Beige G3/333:
ATTO Benchmark Results:
Onboard IDE (16.6MB/sec max ATA/3 interface) with Empty Plus40 Drive
Onboard IDE (16.6MB/sec max ATA/3 interface) with 45% Full Plus40 Drive
Original OEM UW SCSI Card/UW SCSI Viking II 9GB drive 56% Full
MacBench 5.0 Results:
The image below shows the MacBench 5.0 Disk Tests Suite results from the B&W G3. All drives were empty (no files present) and formatted just before the test. As with all tests, a clean reboot was performed before executing the benchmark.
Turbomax PCI IDE Controller/Maxtor 40GB Test Results:
Rod Paine of Astec sent a note about Plus40 Maxtor drive performance with a Turbomax ATA/33 card, noting a significant improvement in performance with the v1.7.4 firmware. (See the FAQ's HD topic area for sources of the firmware update.)
Here's an update on using the Maxtor 40GB Plus in a Rev. 2 G3, but attached to a TurboMAX. Screen shots attached... note the big difference between firmware v1.5 and 1.7.4. Users of the TurboMAX should check this, if used with the Maxtor 40GB.
We're using this configuration in beige G3's being converted to ASIP 6.x 100Mbps Servers, while the G3 is replaced with a G4. Maxtor provides good speed and high capacity for a modest amount.
Send Chad Mathes a copy of this, as I don't have his E-Mail address and it wasn't listed in his review for you.
ASTEC Company, Inc., Virginia, USA
I noticed an improvement even with the 27GB Maxtor as well with the later firmware. Chad wasn't using a Turbomax card, but might be interested in getting one since it about doubles the performance of the Plus40 drive compared to the Beige G3 onboard IDE controller. The Turbomax ATA/33 (original version) has been discontinued by Promax, replaced by an ATA/66 version ($149 list). There are still supplies of the original Turbomax cards however in dealers inventory.
As you can see in the above graphs, the updated firmware significantly boosted write performance.
- Review and Tests of Maxtor 40GB Plus 40 in B&W G3
- Maxtor's DiamondMax Plus 40 product page
- Maxtor's DiamondMax Plus 40 Specifications (PDF file)
- IBM's 75GXP IDE Drive Performance (single drive performance reports)
- Dual Drive IBM 75GXP RAID Performance
- Firewire to IDE External Case (includes Plus40 tests and comments)
- Portable Firewire Drive Kit Build and Performance Tests
- IDE RAID How-To - Illustrated guide to installing 2- hard drives and RAID software in a B&W G3 or G4 system. (Steps applicable to IDE or SCSI)
- IDE RAID Performance - Is IDE RAID worth the extra cost?
- Acard ATA/66 vs TurboMax ATA/33 Performance
- ACard ATA/66 vs Onboard ATA/33 Mac IDE Real World Tests
- IDE RAID Feedback (TurboMax card owners)
- My TurboMax IDE Card Review
- Thad Brown's TurboMax Performance Tests in a Umax S900
(IBM/Maxtor IDE drives compared to S900's SCSI IBM and Barracuda drives)
- Beige G3 IDE Hard Drive Upgrade guide
- B&W G3 IDE Slave Hard Drive Upgrade guide
- Links to IDE standards and definitions (thanks to Jeff Relm)
- Proline's low-cost B&W G3 HD Bracket (adds a drive over the CDROM)
- Complete List of Controller/Disk/RAID Articles
Back to XLR8YOURMAC.COM
Copyright © Mike, 2000. All rights reserved.
All brand or product names mentioned here are properties of their respective companies.
Users of this web site must read and are bound by the terms and conditions of use.