News Archive for Thursday, August 15th, 2013 Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Tip for newly installed SSD/HDD not seen in (2012) Mac Mini:|
I don't post in Apple's forums but saw a thread on problems a late 2012 Mac mini owner had with his SSD not being recognized internally but was seen/usable in a USB case. My suggestion is to check the connection of the flat sata cable from the SSD at the motherboard. The connector that mates to the motherboard can pop up during reassembly - I had this happen (twice) on a 2012 mini last fall. Even though I was careful each time, after reassembly the drive wasn't recognized. Each time the flat 'tab' like connector at the motherboard had popped up. (When I swapped the SSD out again earlier this year for a faster model, the connector stayed seated.)
Maybe not that owner's problem, but worth a check based on his reported symptom. (Formatted/OS X on SSD OK via USB, but not seen in DU/ASP when installed in the mini.)
[Update: He later said the cable connection appears ok, but still not seen on either sata connection. The same SSD (256GB Samsung 840 w/OS X 10.8.4) boots/works in a USB case.]
I assume he checked both cable ends (mated/seated correctly, no connector/cable damage, etc) and the same cable worked OK with the OEM Hard Drive.
(BTW: In reply to his problem, someone had thought it was due to needing a special build of 10.8.4 for the late 2012 mini's hardware. I believe they were thinking about earlier OS X 10.8 versions like 10.8.1/10.8.2. The first Late 2012 minis last fall shipped with a special build of OS X 10.8.1 installed (w/support for the new intel chipset) and in Oct and Nov (2012) Apple posted (twice, one was pulled) an OS X 10.8.2 Update/special build just for Late 2012 Macs (mini, retina mbp, iMac). The (2nd) OS X 10.8.2 Update for Late 2012 Macs was on Nov. 29th, 2012 and was a later build (12C3104) than the previous 10.8.2 update for 2012 macs (12C2034) from Oct. 24th, 2012 that was pulled in early Nov. (I suspected the 12C3104 build may have included suppl. update 2.0's keychain fixes.) OS X 10.8.3 and later releases (esp. combos) should already include support for the late 2012 macs.)
|Apple/products related Tips/Reviews/Op-Ed/News:
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
Listing/links of updates, mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you might have missed. (eSATA Mini-PCIe card mods, Low-Cost CPU Upgrades for early Mac Pros/Xserves/Minis, DIY OS X Fusion drives and more.)
= From my Sponsor - your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac!
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Wednesday August 14th, 2013 News Archive
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
- Apple Computers: Troubleshooting the slot-loading SuperDrive
- MacBook Pro: Bottom case foot replacement DIY instructions
- Mid 2013 MacBook Air (13in): Keyboard and Trackpad may stop functioning during Windows 8 install
- iCloud Features that work with 1 account at a time on iOS 5 and OS X Lion or later
- Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iOS device?
- iBooks: Understanding book updates
- iBooks Author: Add video to your books
- iBooks Author: About the Keynote widget
- iBooks Author: About HTML widget creation
- iBooks Author: Publishing and distribution FAQ
- iBooks Author: Do not use control characters in filenames
- iBooks Author: How to update your published book in the iBooks Store
- iBooks Author: Create a new book with the same look and feel of a previous book
- iAd Producer 4.0.1: Troubleshooting embedded video in iBooks Author widgets
- Optimizing performance in your iBooks Author books
- iBooks: Viewing, syncing, saving and printing PDFs on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch
- iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about iBooks features
- iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about iBooks and the iBooks Store
- iBooks: Tips for managing your iBooks library and storage on iOS devices
- iBooks and iBooks Store: Parental Controls in iOS 6
- iTunes: About Books
- iTunes Store: Accepted forms of payment
- iTunes Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases
- iTunes Store: How iTunes Store purchases are billed
- iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match Availability
- iTunes: Sync purchased HD videos to iPod or iOS device
- Apple TV (2nd and 3rd gen): Purchasing and viewing TV shows
- iTunes Store: Download options when purchasing TV seasons, Season Passes, Multi-Passes, movie bundles, music box sets, or individual movies or TV episodes
- Other New/Reviews/Tips/Tech/OT:
- Samsung 3D V-NAND SSD Announced
- Pandora: iTunes Radio will be great - for Pandora
- Lock in your iPhone/iPad trade-ins before prices fall
- Samsung sees vertical NAND boosting flash acceptance
- New memory tech can store a terabyte on a chip the size of a postage stamp
- If You Use Gmail, You Have 'No Legitimate Expectation Of Privacy'
- Password thieves target blogs, content management sites
- Exchange 2013 Security Update MS13-061 Status Update
- Update 2874216 breaks the content index in Exchange Server 2013
- Review: Paradigm Soundtrack (Soundbar + Subwoofer) System
- Futurama's 10 Best Episodes
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 10 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / AUDIO =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!