News Archive for Wednesday's, December 26th, 2012
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
(Can't send a reply so wanted to say thanks to Bruce, Colin, Keith, Mel, Michael L. & Nick)
|Follow-up on HighPoint RocketU USB 3.0 Card Problems w/OS X 10.8.x|
(from a reader mail of Dec 20th)
"Re: HighPoint RocketU Quad
Greetings, Regarding Oct 3rd posts (More Feedback on USB 3.0 Cards w/OS X 10.7.5/10.8.2) and specifically the section (down the page) regarding the HighPoint RocketU Quad for ML (10.8.x).
I have a MacPro (early 2008) running OS/X 10.8 - 8 core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Radeon 5870 installed, plus the CalDigit 2-port USB3.0 PCI card.
I recently bought one of these RocketU Quad cards - had very variable and limited success: it would see one or other of my two USB3.0 WD 2TB disks on a random basis, but there seemed to be no pattern to this and it didn't matter which ports these were connected to. Bizarrely it showed them as SCSI disks and in System Information the card did not show up under USB, but did show up under PCI Cards.
I contacted HighPoint Support - they confirmed that their engineers are unable to get this card to work with ML/10.8 and advised me to return it to the vendor - which is what I will do (and will buy another CalDigit card or maybe the Sonnet 4-port USB2.0 PCI card).
Also added this to the Oct. 3rd archives page. If someone spots an updated driver later, send a note. TIA. (Oct. 4th news has report on Caldigit's Combo USB 3.0 + eSATA 3 Card.)
|Apple/product related Op-Ed/Rumors/Tips/SW Updates:
|Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:|
(including updates since Sat. 12/22)
Listing/links to updates, articles, tips and reviews you may have missed. (Early Mac Pro CPU Upgrades/EFI Updates, New Mac EFI updates, 2012 Mac Mini HDMI video problems/tips, DIY Fusion drives, more)
|Previous news summary:|
Fri, December 21st, 2012 News Archive
- Mac Mini 2012 review
- 27in iMac (Late-2012) GeekBench scores
- 27in iMac 32GB RAM Upgrades for 1/3 factory cost
- Tips on 16GB RAM support w/Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 13", MacBook, Mac Mini
- Apple tweaks Lightning spec following Kickstarter project gone awry
- Jobs' super yacht impounded over disputed designer bill
- New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
- iMac (Late 2012): VESA mount adapter not compatible
- Aperture 3: No camera detected when attempting to tether Canon 6D
- OS X Server: Alert when migrating from a Lion Server Time Machine backup
- OS X Server: Migrating and copying wiki data from Mac OS X Server v10.6
- Adding additional media format support to QuickTime
- Some car stereos require a firmware update for AVRCP 1.4 Bluetooth compatibility
- Common System Error Messages: What they Mean and What Might Help Resolve the Problem
- Other News/Reviews/Op-Ed/Alerts/OT:
- Cut the cord: 13 set-top media streamers
- Thermaltake Level 10 M Gaming Mouse review
- Technical Excellence Awards 2012
- Breaking Bad to Westeros: The Best TV of 2012
- Samsung PN51E550D1F 3D Plasma HDTV Review
- Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR v3.34 firmware available
- Comparison: 2013 Corvette ZR1 vs. 2013 SRT Viper GTS
- 2013 Mustang Shelby GT 500 review
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 10 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / AUDIO =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!