News Archive for Tuesday, February 12th, 2013:
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|(Mid 2010/Early 2011) 15in/17in MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.7:|
(Download page linked.)
"About MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.7 (1MB)
This update addresses a rare issue on some Apple notebooks where a battery that has accumulated more than 1000 charge cycles may unexpectedly shut down or stop functioning.
System Requirements: OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.2
MacBook Pro (15 and 17-inch, Early 2011)
MacBook Pro (15 and 17-inch, Mid 2010)"
The same battery related fix was listed in Jan 30th SMC updates for 13in Mid-2010/Early 2011 MacBook Pros, Mid-2010 MacBook and MacBook Air.
(Update:) Here's the SMC versions after this update (SMC 1.7) per the Feb. 13th revision of Apple's SMC/EFI updates listing page.
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011): 1.69f4
- MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011): 1.70f6
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010): 1.58f17
- MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010): 1.57f18
Here's a link to Apple's MacBook Pro forums for anyone that wants to watch for any feedback on this update.
(The Jan 30th MacBook Air SMC update 1.8 was also (finally) added to the doc in Feb 13th's revision. I've updated Jan 30th archive page with that info.)
|Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
Listing/links of updates to mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed. (DIY Fusion drives, Low-Cost 2006 Mac Mini CPU Upgrades/unofficial EFI updates, Early Mac Pro CPU Upgrades/Unofficial EFI Updates, 2012 Mac Mini HDMI video problems/display tips/USB 3.0 interference, mods and more)
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Monday Feb. 11, 2013 News Archive
- Report/Lantest Benchmarks: Drobo FS (Long-Term Use) and Drobo 5N
- iOS 6.1.1 Software Update (fix iPhone 4S cellular performance/reliability issue)
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.3.1 Update (See MS Doc on fixes)
- A new Mac Pro or JBOP, just a bunch of peripherals?
- Updates to Feb 2013 Critical Patch Update for Java SE (Oracle)
- Apple reportedly hires LG's former OLED TV expert
- What 7 Million Jailbreaks Are Saying. Is Apple Listening?
- Tim Cook to Attend State of Union with Michelle Obama
- Apple 'iWatch': Speculation and wish lists
- EA's Origin Game service Available for Mac
- EA takes Real Racing 3 down "freemium" route
- Max Payne 3 for OS X in testing
- Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
- AirPrint basics and list of compatible printers
- Setting up Home Sharing for Apple TV (2nd and 3rd gen)
- OS X 10.8.x: About AVCHD files and QuickTime Player
- Mac Basics: Using a scanner
- iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting
- iPhone: Troubleshooting a cellular data connection
- iOS: Setting up VPN- iOS:
- iOS 6: Using Passbook, Using Do Not Disturb
- iOS: Troubleshooting car stereo connections
- iOS: Troubleshooting issues with date and time
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 10 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / AUDIO =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!