News Archive for Monday, February 18th, 2013
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Another Low-cost 2008 Mac Pro Dual 3.2GHz Quad-Core CPU Upgrade:|
(late posting this)
"2008 Mac Pro (2x Quad-Core) CPU Upgrade
Following up from a story you did last year (2008 Mac Pro Dual 3.2GHz (X5482) Quad-Core CPU Upgrade, w/DIY links at page bottom), I did an identical CPU upgrade buying a pair of X5482 chips on Ebay for $250. (Used/Pulls I assume?) I got pretty much the same results. Current temps are: 70° F ambient, CPU A: heatsink: 93° F, CPU: 100° F; CPU B: heatsink: 93° F, CPU: 97° F. (Idle?)
The Cinebench benchmark shows a boost of about 14% which is right in line with the increase in clock speed.
Worth it to me.
If you haven't already, consider an SSD upgrade next. The difference vs standard hard drives is something you really notice. (But I suspect you already know that.)
I welcome other DIY Upgrade reports with your experience, value/bang for buck, pros/cons, any issues etc. (Other Mac Pro CPU Upgrade reports are on the Mac mods/upgrades page.)
|Apple/products related News/Op-Ed/History/Software Updates: (slim pickings)
= From my Site Sponsor =
2011 iMac Internal Hard Drive/SSD DIY Kits
Up to 4TB HD + SSD, Dual or Triple SSDs
And a Turn-Key Upgrade Service for 2010-2011 iMacs
|Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
= from my sponsor =
OWC's Clearance/Garage Sale has parts, upgrades and more.
Large selection of upgradeable Refurbished Mac Pro towers
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor, your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Friday Feb. 15, 2013 News Archive
- (Late 2012) Mac mini Review
- Apple 11" Macbook Air: No compromise
- Fission 2.1.2 (and change notes)
- Review: Phoenix Mac Data Recovery
- The Fall TV Lineup May Include Apple Dominating (iOS) Gaming
- Microsoft losing $2.5B a year not releasing Office for iOS
- iOS 6.1.2 may roll out next week to squash 6.1 bugs
- Jonathan Ive gets gold Blue Peter badge (bbc)
- Steve Jobs (Action Figure): The Review
- Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
- Mac mini (Late 2012) and iMac (Late 2012): About Fusion Drive
- About the Low Battery Indicator
- Mac notebooks: Determining battery cycle count
- Calibrating your notebook's battery for best performance
- Mac notebooks w/built-in batteries: How to service or replace the battery
- Mac notebooks: Caps Lock modified to reduce accidental activation
- Mac Basics: Set your preferences
- Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays
- MacBook Pro with Retina display: Do not use palm rest covers
- MacBook Pro: Frequently asked questions about using a Retina display
- MacBook Pro: About automatic graphics switching and OpenGL applications
- iMac (Late 2012), Retina MacBook Pro: Menu bar may not appear on first login
- iMac/MacBook Pro/Retina/Air/: About resolution settings in QT Player inspector
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!