"Just giving you my experience and seeking answers to a few points I have concerning thunderbolt docks. I have two issues with various thunderbolt docks:
1- booting from an external drive with USB3 connection to a thunderbolt dock does not boot the external which has a known good OS X install. I usually try to boot either Mavericks or Yosemite.
2- installing OS X, usually I do Yosemite, does not reboot the external drive again connected by USB3 to a thunderbolt dock. So in effect the second phase of the install will never complete.
I've tried mostly bus powered LaCie rugged drives. I have tried powered LaCie external USB3 drives.
I've tried the Belkin TB and TB2 Dock without success. I have currently also tried the CalDigit TB2 Dock without success. Their FAQs state it should work on USB3 Macs specifically 2013 or later. I've tried on an early 2011 MBPro, mid 2012 rMBPro, early 2013 rMBPro and a mid 2014 rMBPro. None would take the external connected to the Caldigit TB2 Dock and boot OS X. (Not tried them but didn't see boot support mentioned in product pages for Elgato or OWC TB docks.)
I do have friends who can boot from the Belkin Dock and even the first generation Caldigit Dock but it was on late 2013 rMBPro.
If any readers with a Thunderbolt dock have tried the above, a note if it's worked or not. Please include info on TB Dock, Mac model and USB3 drive used. Thanks.
(Update: I've added the above and replies to a separate page on the topic.)
2009 Mac Pro 3GHz 12-Core (Dual X5675) CPU Upgrade and More
OS X 10.10 Driver for Edimax EW-7711MAC/AC450 802.11AC adapter
Mac compatible 802.11ac/Bluetooth 4.0 Adapters page updated
OWC Turnkey Upgrade Program for Mac Mini 2009-2012
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered FAQ
FAQ: Geometry Wars 3 (aspyr)
Drive Genius 4.0.1 update
Apple Support Article Updates:
- iCloud: Activation Lock
- iCloud: How to Use Lost Mode
- iCloud: How to Erase your Device
- iCloud: How to set up Find My iPhone
- Remove adware that displays pop-up ads/graphics on your Mac
- iOS: Unable to restore from backup of a newer device
- About Unauthorized modifications of iOS
- Apple TV: Basic troubleshooting
- About Apple TV (2nd/3rd Gen) and HDCP
- Restoring your Apple TV (2nd/3rd generation)
- Apple TV (2nd/3rd gen): Guide to ports and connectors
- Apple TV - How to Switch between wired and wireless networks
- Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Understanding AirPlay settings
- Apple TV: Using a third-party remote control (learning/programming the remote)