News Archive for Monday, July 1st, 2013 Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Another (Mac Pro) Report on Nvidia 8800GT Card "Bake" Fix|
Saw another (mac pro) owner report on resurrecting (at least for awhile) a failed Nvidia 8800GT Card using the "Oven Bake" (Solder reflow) method. Here's an example youtube video posted in the past here. (Also some previous reports in Apple's Mac Pro forum threads on Nvidia 8800GT card problems - for example here and here.) As always, YMMV.
(Similar heat tricks have been used to resurrect failed Elgato EyeTV Hybrid TV tuners also.)
|Apple/products related Tips/News/Op-Ed/Rumors:
|New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles: (includes Sunday)
= From my Site Sponsor =
Accelsior_E2 PCIe SSD with Dual eSATA III Ports
Mac bootable PCIe SSD with 2 eSATA III Ports
Up to 823MB/s read and 783MB/s write speeds
Can be used in Thunderbolt PCIe expansion chassis
Already have your own SSDs?
Use them in a Tempo SSD or Tempo Pro SSD SATA3 PCIe Adapter card
Listing/links of updates, mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.
= From my Sponsor - your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac!
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Friday June 28th, 2013 News Archive
- Late 2012 Mac Mini Cooling Fan Intake and Exhaust Vents
- Reminder on 2012 Mac Mini Internal Drive Upgrade/Swap (w/o removing mb)
- Review: (802.11ac) Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (A1521)
- Benchmarks of 2013 802.11ac AirPort Extreme Base Station
- Some MacBook Air owners invited to test a Wi-Fi fix
- Google and Apple May Bring a Console War We Didn't See Coming
- 50% off sale on F1 2012™ for Mac (feral interactive)
- Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Docs:
- iCloud: Archiving or making copies of your iCloud data
- Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity
- About the Help menu in OS X Lion
- iOS: Connecting to Wi-Fi
- iOS 6: Apple FIPS iOS Cryptographic Modules v3.0
- Magic Trackpad/Magic Mouse: How to adjust double-click & scrolling speed
- iMac (Late 2009, Mid 2010): External features, ports, and connectors
- iPad: Charging the battery
- Other News/Reviews/Tech/OT:
- First impressions: Hands-on with Ouya game console
- 'Wi-Vi' uses low-power Wi-Fi to track movement - even behind walls
- Intel's new CEO focused on mobile chips, cautious on TV
- New Yamaha Flagship Aventage 11.2 Amp/Preamp Combo
- Review: Lenovo ThinkStation D30
- Reviews of Upside Down (3D Blu-ray) and The Call (Blu-Ray)
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 10 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / AUDIO =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!