|Archive of July 15th to 19th, 2019 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Your Tips, Upgrade Reports, Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.10 Beta 3 (Catalina compatible)|
The earlier Carbon Copy Cloner blog post on macOS Catalina was updated with this note:
"Update July 18, 2019
CCC 5.1.10-b3 is now available and addresses the bulk of the changes required for supporting macOS Catalina."
The beta download page has notes for users and extensive release notes for CCC 5.1.10-b3.
|Mini-ITX Core i9-9900K Hackintosh Benchmarks Updated|
After the note on OpenCL test scores in the GeekBench 4.4.0 release (Tuesday), Bill sent GeekBench 4.4.0 Benchmark results (CPU, OpenCL, Metal) with Mojave 10.14.5 on his Intel 8 Core i9-9900K Hackintosh with dual 1TB NVMe SSDs, 32GB RAM, and RX580 Nitro+ graphics card. I don't think the OpenCL scoring bug affecting "recent" GPUs was a factor with this RX580. Scores were only appx 1% lower, but good to have results with the current version. (If you missed it earlier, there's Mojave 10.14.5 vs 10.13.6 GB scores, plus NVMe disk benchmarks and GFXBench Metal tests down the page.)
|Firefox 68.0.1 and ESR 68.0.1 Updates (macOS Catalina compatible)
The release notes for Firefox 68.0.1 and Firefox ESR 68.0.1 say:
"macOS releases are now signed by the Apple notary service, allowing Firefox to properly run on macOS 10.15 Beta releases/"
The release notes also list bug fixes.
|Little Snitch 4.4.2 Update (Hotfix for v4.4.1)|
Another update to Little Snitch. Info from the version 4.4.2 release notes:
"This version is a hot fix for version 4.4.1, which was released earlier today.
It turned out that the fix for a rare kernel panic introduced a new bug which also triggered a kernel panic. Sorry for the rapid succession of releases and the resulting system restarts!
If you have missed 4.4.1: Please don't overlook the security content of this release!
(Clip from v4.4.1 release notes follows)
Version 4.4.0 fixed a vulnerability which allowed privilege escalation to root for any local user. However, in some situations computers were still vulnerable after the upgrade. This version addresses the remaining issue. Please upgrade before details of the vulnerability are published!"
|GeekBench 4.4.0 update (bug fixes)|
Info from their blog post on Geekbench 4.4.0:
"- Fix an issue with the Particle Physics OpenCL implementation, which caused Geekbench to overestimate performance on recent AMD and Intel GPUs. Since this fix can change OpenCL scores, we recommend users exercise caution when comparing OpenCL scores between Geekbench 4.3 and Geekbench 4.4.
(Geekbench 4.4.1 was released on July 22nd. Said to update comparison results to include latest iOS/Android devices.)
This issue does not affect the Particle Physics implementations for other Compute APIs, nor does it affect the Compute Benchmark scores for those other APIs.
- Fix an issue where Geekbench would not identify certain Intel processors.
Geekbench 4.4.0 is a free update for all Geekbench 4 users."
|MainStage 3.4.3 Update|
MainStage version 3.4.3 release notes lists improvements related to Stability/Reliability, Performance, Plug-ins, plus these 'General' fixes:
- Edited text in inspectors now reliably updates immediately.
- Concerts created in MainStage 3.1 or older now open as expected.
- Duplicating an alias of a patch no longer causes unexpected sound output.
- The Metronome Division setting is now retained when opening a saved Concert.
- Tempo-based Audio Unit plug-ins now maintain sync when MainStage is synced to MIDI Clock.
- The New Track sheet now shows all available busses for multi-output instruments.
= from my sponsor =
|Apple/Products related News, Software Updates, Tips, Op-Ed, PR (later first)
|Developer Beta Updates (later first)|
July 17th, 16th and 15th Developer releases.
(FYI: July 22nd macOS 10.14.6, iOS 12.4/tvOS 12.4, watchOS 5.3 released.)
(Apple also has Public betas. See Beta FAQ for info on joining or unenrolling.)
- Xcode 11 beta 4 (11M374r)
- iOS 13 beta 4 (17A5534f)
- iPadOS 13 beta 4 (17A5534f)
- watchOS 6 beta 4 (17R5532f)
- tvOS 13 beta 4 (17J5526e)
- macOS Catalina 10.15 beta 4 (19A512f)
- iOS 12.4 beta 7 (16G5077a)
- watchOS 5.3 beta 6 (16U5569a)
- macOS Mojave 10.14.6 beta 5 (18G78a)
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later added first)|
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.
= from my sponsor =
OWC's Clearance/Garage Sale has parts, upgrades and more.
Thunderbolt Drives, Video Cards, SSDs, Apple Gear, and Macs
|Other News, Reviews, Tips, Software Updates, OT (later added first)|
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software and driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor, your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
July 8th to 12th, 2019 News Archive
- Core i9-9900K Hackintosh Benchmarks with macOS 10.14.5 vs 10.13.6
- Logic Pro X 10.4.6 Update (long list of fixes)
- DisplayLink version 5.2 USB Software Update for macOS Mojave
- Safari Technology Preview 87 Release Notes (available for Mojave/Catalina)
- WWDC19 Video Transcripts Available
- MacBook Air and MacBook Pro updated for back-to-school season
- Micromat TechTool Pro 11.0.4 update (new features/fixes)
- How to Check for Malware and 'Bad' Plists Manually on Your Mac
- Apple pushed a silent Mac update to remove hidden Zoom web server
- Zoom fixes major Mac webcam security flaw with emergency patch
- OWC Blog post about Mac Pro 5,1 not being Catalina compatible
- Unofficial Beta Catalina patcher available for unsupported Macs
- Mac Pixelmator version 3.8.5 (bug fixes/improvements)
- WebDriver is Coming to Safari in iOS 13
- Firefox 68.0 update includes security fixes
- Firefox ESR 60.8.0 update (security fixes)
- Intel SSD S4500/S4600 Series Advisory and Firmware Update
- Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool Advisory and Update
- Review of AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700
- Review of 500GB ADATA XPG SX6000 M.2 SSD
- Review of Synology DiskStation DS2419+
- Security Updates for Abobe Bridge CC, Experience Manager, Dreamweaver
- Apple Support/Troubleshooting/How-To Article Updates:
- Troubleshooting Boot Camp installer doesn't open after using Boot Camp Assistant.
- How to identify MacBook Pro models updated for new 13in 2019 model
- How to identify MacBook Air models updated for new 13in 2019 model
- How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery
- How to Unpair and erase your Apple Watch
- Logic Pro X 10.4 release notes updated for v10.4.6
- Troubleshooting now sound from internal speakers on a Mac
- Apple updates Vintage and obsolete products list
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!