News Archive for Monday June 11th, 2012
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Video | Storage | Audio | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac)
|iPhoto 9.3 and Aperture 3.3 Updates (Info/Downloads):
"What's New in iPhoto 9.3:
- iPhoto can now open libraries from Aperture 3.3 or later
- AVCHD video is now supported
- The Description field now automatically expands as needed when entering text
- You can now flag a photo in Magnify (1-up) view by clicking a Flag icon displayed in the upper left corner of the photo
- Keywords and titles are now preserved when exporting files with embedded GPS location data
- A new Export option allows you to automatically organize exported photos into subfolders by event
The update is recommended for all users of iPhoto '11.
System Requirements: OS X Lion 10.7.4 or later"
Here's the download page for Aperture 3.3. I posted the release notes earlier today in the updated Apple docs listing below. (Today's list also has several related to these updates.)
|iTunes 10.6.3 (Security/Bug Fixes and 10.8 Support)|
(As usual download button goes to www.apple.com/itunes/download/)
"About iTunes 10.6.3
iTunes 10.6.3 includes support for OS X Mountain Lion and addresses a number of important issues:
- Addresses a problem where iTunes may become unresponsive when syncing an iPad (1st generation) that contains an iBooks textbook
- Fixes a problem where photos synced to a device may appear in an unexpected order
- Resolves an issue where iTunes may unexpectedly delete playlists created on a device
- Fixes issues where iTunes may unexpectedly delete apps on a device
- Improves overall performance and
For information on the security content of this update, please visit: support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
SHA1 - (Mac) e673e5cbd2955130efbc92a788fff178e66bd155
SHA1 - (Win) 2618f701f1d1a853e33138a57bec193bcd08438e"
Here's the doc with details about the security content of iTunes 10.6.3.
|FCP X, Motion 5, Compressor 4 Updates w/support for Retina Display MBP (& more)|
Don't own these Pro Apps but saw info on the updates today:
Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.5 improves overall stability and is enhanced for the MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012).
This update also addresses the following issues:
- Fixes an issue in which changes were not properly saved when working off a SAN.
- Improves performance when switching between projects on a SAN.
- Fixes an issue which could lead to Multicam Clips losing their Roles after relaunching Final Cut Pro X.
- Allows for YouTube uploads longer than 15 minutes.
- Correctly marks in and out points for spanned clips imported using the Sony Camera Import Plug-in PDZK-LT2.
Info on changes in Motion 5.0.4:
"Motion version 5.0.4 improves overall stability and is enhanced for the MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012).
This update also resolves issues in FxPlug 2 where some images were returned at half height or upside down.
And also a download of Motion 5 Content v.1.1.
"About Motion 5 Content v1.1
This update includes the following Motion 5 content enhanced for the Macbook Pro with Retina display:
- Motion Templates: A variety of professionally-designed, customizable templates.
- Motion Library Content: Animated vector graphics, backgrounds, template media, sample Motion projects, and royalty-free still images.
This update is recommended for all users of Motion 5."
Here's changes listed for Compressor 4.0.4:
Compressor version 4.0.4 improves overall stability and performance including:
Enhancements to Share Monitor for MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012).
Resolves a stability issue that could occur when selecting the Publish to YouTube job action from the Inspector
An Apple doc notes that these Pro App updates require OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7.4.
*Update:* On Tuesday (6/12) Apple posted iMovie 9.0.6 update w/Retina support as well.
(FYI: See Apple Docs listing today for other related/updated docs.)
|New MacBook Pros/Airs, iOS 6/MLion at WWDC (Mac Pro gets CPU speed bump)|
Links to updated product pages/info from today's WWDC Keynote. Lots of changes although not all rumors were true.
The Apple Store is back online (w/updates).
(Mid-2012) Mac Pro gets a CPU Speed Bump:
Although not mentioned in the Keynote, the Apple store's "New to the Store" list (a "New" tag was later removed) included the Mac Pro, which had a CPU speed bump ($2499 entry Quad-Core is now 3.2GHz, w/6GB ram) but no major design changes that I can see.
(We hoped for a new motherboard w/Thunderbolt, New CPUs, PCIe 3.0, SATA III, USB 3.0 and some new Graphics cards - but maybe next year.)
Other New Apple Items:
Here's a few other new items/accessories added at the Apple Store:
In "new to the store" column they also list an iPad smart case that covers front and back. (See below for Apple software/utility updates to support the new Express base, T'Bolt Ethernet adapter and Software Update for Mid-2012 MacBook Pros.)
|More 2006 Mac Mini and iMac CPU (Core2 Duo) Upgrade Reports:|
Added 2 more reports (Thanks Alex and Travis) to our page on 2006-08 Mac Mini CPU/EFI/Lion Upgrades. One report notes the Combo OS X 10.7.4 update did restore the supported macs plist file. (The delta 10.7.4 update didn't per previous reports).
Also added to that page is a 2006 iMac owner's notes on swapping in a Core2Duo CPU. (Like the 2006-08 Mini, early Intel-based iMacs also had a socketed CPU.)
|(Freeware VM) Virtualbox Feedback page updated:|
Added a friend's v4.1.6 problem report to the Mac owner reports on VirtualBox.
(If anyone has a tip/suggestion send a note - TIA.)
|Apple/products related News/WWDC Keynote Video/Updates:
(Airport Utility updates add support for new Express base.)
|New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
Listing/links to updates, articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.
|Previous News Pages:|
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
(Saturday pages have previous week's summary/links.)
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!