News Archive for Friday, March 8th, 2013
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
(A big 'Thank You' to the folks doing Power Line Repairs from the snowstorm.
Had the old work (2007) iMac OEM hd get flaky last night but now running 10.6.8 off a FW800 boot drive until I can get suction cups to remote the glass for an internal drive swap. Moved to HD into a (v3) FW800 Ministack which sleeps OK so I may leave it this way. Thanks to James and Wolf for suggestions on suction cup sources. Found one at a local store - long handle type with cups at each end. Handle rotates to lock/seal.)
|Another DIY Fusion Drive Report (in 2008 Mac Pro)|
Added another reader report to the earlier page here on DIY Fusion Drives.
This one is from a 2008 Mac Pro owner using a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD and 3TB Seagate HD. (Previous reports include 2010 iMac, MacBook Pro and Mac Pros, plus guides on creating a DIY Fusion drive.)
|Apple/products related News/Reviews/PR/SW Updates:
FYI: As of Thursday, new iMacs with CTO mods (CPU, GPU, Drives, etc) showed 5-7 business days to ship vs 2-3 weeks previously. (Base models show shipping within 24 hrs.)
|New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles: (includes Thu.)
|Other News/Reviews/Tips/Op-Ed/OT: (includes Thu.)
= From my Site Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac!
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Listing/links of updates to mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed. ($250 Mac Pro Dual 3.2GHz Quad-Core CPU Upgrade, DIY Fusion drives, Low-Cost 2006 Mac Mini CPU Upgrades/unofficial EFI updates, 2012 Mac Mini HDMI video problems/display tips/USB 3.0 interference, mods and more)
|Previous Day's News Summary: (No update Thursday)|
Wednesday March 6th, 2013 News Archive
- (Op-Ed) A Mac Pro Mini
- Apple Launches New $1,099 Education-Only iMac
- Late 2009 Core i5/i7 iMacs Certified to 32GB Of Memory (sponsor blog)
- Apple's Cook, music mogul Iovine discuss new music service
- Apple Asks Judge to Dismiss Suit Alleging iPhone Monopoly
- ClamCase Pro review: Turn your iPad into a versatile laptop
- Apple Launches iBookstore in Japan
- Top 5 iPad Apps for Movie Lovers
- New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
- Mountain Lion: About Power Nap
- Recovering a lost firmware password
- GarageBand for iOS and OS X: Tracks might be silent
- Aperture 3: RAW photos from newly supported cameras may show as unsupported
- iCloud: How to delete photos from Photo Stream
- iTunes: Troubleshooting security software issues
- iTunes 10.5 and later: Troubleshooting iTunes Wi-Fi Syncing
- Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external drive
- Creating an iTunes/App Store/iBookstore account w/o a credit card
- iOS: Troubleshooting USB connection
- iWork for iOS: About iTunes File Sharing
- Using a POP account with multiple devices
- Understanding which SIM card your iPhone or iPad uses
- iPhone/iPad/iPod touch: Understanding subscription Wi-Fi networks
- iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions about iBooks, Features, iBookstore
- About Windows Migration Assistant
- Using Msconfig to troubleshoot conflicts in Windows 7/Vista
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!