News Archive for Tuesday May 24th, 2011:
Macs | CPU Upgrades | Video | Storage | Audio | Apps/OS/Network | Contact
Miss a Day?
See the previous 3 days' news summary or the Archives.
= Recent Articles and Reviews =
|Logic Pro and Express 9.1.4 Updates|
Both the Logic Pro 9.1.4 and Logic Express 9.1.4 download pages say "This update improves overall stability and addresses a number of minor issues, including support for opening projects imported from GarageBand for iPad". However the Logic Pro 9.1.4: Release notes which includes a lot more info, including 24 listed fixes related to Performance/Stability, 64-bit Mode, Automation, Audio Editing and more.
The Logic Express 9.1.4 Release notes have the same changes listed as the Pro version. (As of this post time (5PM ET May 24th), the Express release notes page even has "Logic Pro 9.1.4 update" in the page as a header for the change list. May be corrected by the time you read this.)
|Checkpoint Update to Fix Problem w/2011 MacBookPro EFI Update|
(Follow-up from the reader that reported the problem earlier this month.)
Hi Mike, A couple of weeks ago I reported that CheckPoint Full Disk Encryption (FDE) was "broken" by the MBP 2.1 EFI firmware update - Per below email, CheckPoint has issued a fix. (below email has a typo, updated compatible FDE version is actually 3.3.2, see attached pdf file p. 5).
Will follow up again once this new FDE version has been installed to confirm that all is well.
(copy of CP update comments he included follows)
CheckPoint has released a new version that will fix this issue. For Macs that have the Thunderbolt and Sandy Bridge chipsets, the compatible FDE version is 3.2.2. (actually 3.3.2) We are currently testing the newer version and will soon make it available for download."
Added the above to the original report on May 6th
|Apple posts doc on How to Remove/Avoid Mac Defender|
I saw lots of press in the past about mac support not helping owners with this 'malware', but today apple posted a support doc on How to avoid or remove Mac Defender malware. That doc also includes a note:
"In the coming days, Apple will deliver a Mac OS X software update that will automatically find and remove Mac Defender malware and its known variants. The update will also help protect users by providing an explicit warning if they download this malware...."
That note makes me wonder if this will now be an ongoing thing. (Updates released as other variants/different malware, etc. appears.) Windows utils are updated daily, granted they have to deal with far more/more frequently evolving threats.
(FYI - as of Wednesday another variant was spotted - "MacGuard", which according to reports does not require admin password to install (if user is admin) - but still requires user action to install. See Intego Blog post from May 25th. And BTW, LittleSnitch can also be used to warn of outbound connections. And for years now I wonder why Safari still has an option to 'open safe files after downloading'.)
|Apple doc w/Reminder on 2011 iMac Wireless Performance Fixes|
From another Apple doc today, referring to updates posted earlier:
"iMac (Mid 2011): Slow network performance using AirPort
In some situations, you may notice slow network performance via AirPort on your iMac (Mid 2011).
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
Certain wireless routers may have compatibility issues that can affect download speeds without the Mac OS X 10.6.7 Update for iMac (early 2011), but upload speeds are usually unaffected. To improve download speeds while you download the Mac OS X 10.6.7 Update for iMac (early 2011), you may wish to connect directly to your wireless router via Ethernet cable."
|Software Related Articles, Updates (see above for Logic updates)
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Doc Updates
|Recent Articles and Reviews - Listing/links to articles and reviews you may have missed.|
|Previous 3 Days News Summaries:
Monday May 23rd, 2011
Friday May 20th, 2011
Thursday May 19th, 2011
- iMac 21.5-inch (Thunderbolt) Review (PCMag - editor's choice)
- OWC's Legacy SSD Tested in Mirrored Drive Door Power Mac G4
- Intel eyes Apple as it maps its future
- Apple to launch new MacBook Air in June-July
- 10 years later, Apple's 'crazy' retail gamble is a hit
- How Apple's stores turned into a retail juggernaut
- Mercury Aura Pro Express SSD a Finalist in 2011 American Business Awards
- Verizon CFO Reveals iPhone 5 Details
- Highlights From The Google, Apple, Facebook, Senate Privacy Circus
- Houston's Apple Store crime spree: Armed robbers follow computer buyers home
- Independent Mac retailers emerge from the Apple Store shadow
- Report: Apple signs deal with EMI for cloud-music service
- An AppleCare support rep talks Mac malware
- Opera 11.50-1009 Alpha
- Team Fortress 2, CS: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: DM Updates Released
- iOS App Review - Friendly for FaceBook
- PlayBoy launches uncensored iPad app, evading Apple's eyes in the process
- iTunes: How to share music and video (Apple)
- iTunes: Setting up Home Sharing on your computer (Apple)
- Troubleshooting Home Sharing (Apple)
- iPhone, iPad, iPod: TV out support (Apple)
- Wireless input devices: Bluetooth frequently asked questions (Apple)
- Bluetooth: How to set up your Apple Wireless Mouse or Magic Trackpad (Apple)
- About LCD display pixel anomalies for Apple products released in 2010 and later (Apple)
- iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (Apple)
- iOS: Troubleshooting cellular data (Apple)
- iPod plays video but not audio of some exported files (Apple)
- Xsan: Some features are not supported with StorNext volumes (Apple)
- iMac (Mid 2011): External features, ports, and connectors (Apple)
- iOS: Resolving update and restore alert messages (Apple)
- iPod: No power or frozen (Apple)
- iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting (Apple)
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch: Understanding Restrictions (Apple)
- iPod: Unable to sync data with Outlook 2010 64-bit version (Apple)
- iPod/iPhone: Troubleshooting songs that skip (Apple)
- iPod: Audio heard when volume level is set to 0 (Apple)
- Some special characters will not display in playlist title, song name, or album name when syncing to some iPod models (Apple)
- iOS: Understanding the SIM PIN (Apple)
- iPod: Recording voice memos (Apple)
- iPod: Storing and reading notes (Apple)
- iPod displays "Use iTunes to restore" message (Apple)
- iPod: Cannot restore or update in iTunes with error 1415, 1417, 1418, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1436, or 1439 (Apple)
- New Nvidia Tesla GPU Shatters HPC Test Records
- Chromebook: Bigger than a tablet, but less useful
- Patch for Android authentication flaw only fixes part of the problem
- Suggestions for staying safe on Sony's PS Network
- Brink GPU & CPU Performance Test
- Microsoft Offering Upgraded Xbox 360s for Consoles with Disc Issues
- Rockstar - some PS3 owners report Firmware 3.61 is overheating old units
- Video viewing on Netflix accounts for up to 30 percent of online traffic
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!