News Archive for Thursday, May 16th, 2013 Goto Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|(Mid 2012) MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.0:|
(download page linked)
"About MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.0
This update is recommended for MacBook Air (mid 2012) models. This update addresses a storage firmware issue that, in rare cases, may cause a system to fail to recover from a crash.
Warning Text:Your MacBook Air requires this update.
The power cord must be connected to your MacBook Air and plugged into a working power source.
Back up the data on your MacBook Air flash storage to an external disk or Time Capsule before installing this update. If you've already backed up your data, click Install Update to begin the update.
Do not reset, shut down, or turn off the power to your MacBook Air while updating your flash storage. If there is a problem during the update, your flash storage may become unusable and all the data on it could be lost.
When the update is complete your MacBook Air will shut down. Wait one minute before restarting it.
Boot ROM or SMC Version Information: After the update, you will have Revision TPVABBF0.
System Requirements: OS X 10.7.5 or OS X 10.8.3"
Checking the Apple MacBook Air forums for feedback, saw a thread titled Filevault: Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.0 won't install.
Also a couple of Mid-2012 MacBook Air owners said their machines were reported as not needing the update. No details given but my first guess is perhaps their MBAs had a different flash drive OEM/mfr perhaps?
|iTunes 11.0.3 Update (w/security fixes):|
(Available via Software Update or www.apple.com/itunes/download/)
"About iTunes 11.0.3
This version of iTunes comes with several new features and improvements, including:
- New MiniPlayer: MiniPlayer now includes a beautiful new view that showcases your album artwork. In addition, a progress bar is now built right into MiniPlayer.
- Improved Songs View: You can now enjoy your album artwork while in Songs view.
- Multi-Disc Albums: Albums with multiple discs now appear as a single album.
This update also provides performance improvements when searching and sorting large iTunes libraries.
For information on the security content of this update, please visit: support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.
(here's the specific doc on security fixes)
Windows 64 SHA1=6669044bd50c1f753c8412a02556a70be09fd9f8
To download iTunes 11.0.3 for Windows 64 bit: support.apple.com/kb/DL1615.
OS X version 10.6.8 or later
Windows XP SP2 or later, 32-bit Windows Vista, 7 or 8."
Not updated personally but a reader sent comments (recd May 20th):
"Regarding iTunes 11.0.3
On two out of three OS X 10.8 iMacs, iTunes said there was an update but the Application Store did not show the iTunes 11.0.3 update. Offhand I know two solutions and I used one on each machine:
1) Manually download iTunes 11.0.3 from the support section of Apple.com.
2) Use Terminal, switch to admin account and use "sudo softwareupdate -i -a"
The second solution also showed me other software updates that the App Store didn't but that I saw on other machines.
|Apple/products related News/Reviews/Op-Ed/Software Updates:
= From my Site Sponsor =
miniStack MAX, 4-in-1 Storage Solution
Combines an external drive, optical drive, SD card reader + USB powered hub. Interfaces: 2x USB3.0/2.0, eSATA, 2x FW800 and USB charging port. Available with up to 4TB HD (+ Blu-Ray writer or CD/DVD writer/Blu-Ray-reader) or as an enclosure kit (add your own drive(s))
[Several 0GB Enclosure kits and optical drives on site specials page]
|New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
Listing/links of updates to mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed. (Internal Mini-PCIe Card Mods (eSATA/USB 3.0), 2012 Mac Mini SSD upgrades, $250 Mac Pro Dual 3.2GHz Quad-Core CPU Upgrade, DIY OS X Fusion drives, Low-Cost 2006 Mac Mini CPU Upgrades/unofficial EFI updates, 2012 Mac Mini HDMI video problems/display tips/USB 3.0 interference, mods and more)
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Wednesday May 15th, 2013 News Archive
- Apple's Cook Fetches $610,000 in Coffee Meeting Auction
- Microsoft exec cites MacBook Air as a design benchmark
- Apple tells U.S. of tough talks, not collusion, with publishers
- Lawsuit claims Apple sold iPhone 4 with bad on-off button
- Adobe Angers Users With Its Photoshop-Subscription Plan
- GripBase Podium Floor Stand For Apple iPad and iPad mini
- Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Docs:
- Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions
- Recovering a forgotten iTunes Store account name
- Final Cut Pro X: Custom video effects may render as blue frames
- Mac Pro RAID Card or Xserve RAID Card: Volume may not mount after improper shutdown or restart
- Other News/Reviews/Op-Ed/Tech/OT:
- Review: WD My Passport Ultra (USB 3.0)
- Google unveils music subscription service
- GM turns your old Chevy Volt battery into a whole-house UPS
- After ATM heist, Outsourcing financial services again in unwelcome spotlight
- How a Career Con Man Led a Federal Sting That Cost Google $500M
- Control Apps Gaining Popularity but Traditional Remotes Still Preferred
- VMware launches dual persona feature for Verizon smart phones
- The New Wave of Color Calibration Technology: Cube Calibration
- Review: Sony Flagship STR-DA5800ES A/V Receiver
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 10 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / AUDIO =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!