News Archive for Wednesday, Oct. 24th, 2012
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
( Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Apple posts answers to 'Fusion Drive' Frequently Asked Questions|
Today apple posted a new support doc with frequently asked questions About Fusion Drive, a new feature of the "Late 2012" Mac mini and iMacs.
Includes answers to questions about partitions, 3rd party utility support, Target Disk Mode, external drives, bootcamp support, troubleshooting and more. (I wondered about support for 3rd party internal drive upgrades, but for now I'd assume not.)
BTW: They also note "The version of Disk Utility that comes with Fusion Drive is unique, Earlier versions of Disk Utility can't be used with a Fusion Drive."
The doc also says the only 'fix' (repair) for a problem drive is erasing it, so current backups are a must. (And that I think is why there's no Fusion drive option for the Server mini. Nor would I want it for that in the current state.)
Update/FYI on Do It Yourself Fusion Drive:
Here's a Readers DIY Fusion Drive in a 2010 Mac Pro with his notes and tests - he's installed 10.8 on it, booted from it, ran updates on it and used OS X 10.8.2's standard Disk Utility version on it. (Which disputes what is said above about unique Disk Utility version.)
The Nov. 5th news also has a reader's notes on his DIY Fusion Drive in a 2010 iMac.
|OS X 10.8.2 Update for 13" Retina Macbook Pro, Late 2012 Minis and 21.5" iMac|
Download page linked. [Update: As of Nov 17th, the Download Page for this update had been pulled, BUT on Nov. 29th, Apple reposted it (same page URL, same date on page, same DL size listed the page* but a later build). I had applied the 10.8.2 update on a late 2012 Mini on Oct. 27th and had no problems personally, including no HDMI problems (so far) unlike some other 2012 Mini owners.]
OS X 10.8.2 Update for 13in Retina MacBook Pro, Late-2012 Mac Mini/iMac (654.49 MB)
This update is recommended for all 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012) and Mac mini (Late 2012) systems.
It includes all features and updates from OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 plus system-specific enhancements and fixes for Late 2012 systems.
System Requirements: OS X 10.8.1
(* FYI: The Nov 29th release of this update is a slightly larger download (<1MB larger) and a later build (12C3104) than the original release (12C2034) on Oct. 24th. But I was able to reapply this (Nov. 29th) update (D/L) over my previous 10.8.2 (12C2034) build that also had the Nov 20th 10.8.2 Suppl. Update 2.0 (keychain fixes) already installed. I saw no version changes to the HD4000 drivers/graphics related files I posted in my article on Mac Mini HDMI video issues. I think the (very) slightly larger D/L file size may be because it includes fixes from the 10.8.2 Suppl. Update 2.0. (Suppl Update 2.0 did not appear in SU after I re-installed the the Nov 29th build (12C3104), but then I'd previously installed it after the earlier 10.8.2 build update.)
(info that follows is from the original Oct. 24th posting)
Once installed, the build version of this OS X 10.8.2 is 12C2034. (for Oct. 24th release)
(And per Netkas, the update includes Nvidia drivers v304.10.20f04.)
There's some related Apple docs on the new Macs in today's listing below.
(FYI: If you own one of these new Mac models, remember to update any bootable external drives also, since reportedly previous OS X builds (incl. OS X 10.8.2) won't boot from one of these macs.)
|Logic Pro/Express 9.1.8 Update (info/download):|
(links to D/L pages and release notes)
|New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
- Mac mini (Late 2012): External ports and connectors
- Mac mini (Late 2012): Memory specifications and upgrades
- Mac mini (Mid 2010 and later): Frequently asked questions about HDMI
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13in, Late 2012), Mac mini (Late 2012): Recommended OS X Software Updates
- How to identify Mac mini models
- How to identify MacBook Pro models
- Using USB 3 devices on Mac computers FAQ
- Mac mini (Intel CPU): Connecting to a television
- Apple Cinema Display (30-inch DVI) has 1280 x 800 as the maximum available resolution
- Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers
- iMovie does not recognize video clips on Contour camcorders
- OS X Server: Enabling the AFP Server Activity log
- Final Cut Pro X: Best practices for updating
- Installing QuickTime Player 7
- Logic Pro 9.1.8: Release notes (d/l page above)
- Logic Express 9.1.8: Release notes (d/l page above)
- iCloud: What do Back to My Mac status messages mean?
- iCloud: Calendar Events, Reminders, To Dos, and Tasks behavior differs by application
- OS X Lion: Supported digital camera RAW formats (w/RAW Update 4.01)
- OS X Mountain Lion: Supported digital camera RAW formats (w/RAW Update 4.01)
- What's new in iBooks Author 2.0
- iBooks Author: About LaTeX and MathML support
- iBooks: Understanding book updates
- iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about iBooks features
- iBooks: How highlights and bookmarks are migrated when you update a book
- iBooks: Unable to sync textbook and ePub annotations or bookmarks between iOS devices with the iBooks app
- iBooks: Tips for managing your iBooks library and storage on iOS devices
- iBooks: Viewing, syncing, saving, and printing PDFs on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about iBooks and the iBookstore
- iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about iBooks features
- iTunes Store: Accepted forms of payment
- iTunes Store: Which types of items can I buy in my country?
Listing/links to updates, articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.
|Previous News Pages:|
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 10 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / AUDIO =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!