News Archive for Monday, December 10th, 2012
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Late-2012 Mac Mini EFI Update (to fix HDMI Video Flicker)|
(Download page linked. Should also appear in SU on Late-2012 Minis, but I prefer D/L updaters)
"About Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.7 (4.53 MB)
This update addresses HDMI video flicker issues on Mac mini (Late 2012) computers and is recommended for all users.
... When your Mac mini restarts, a gray screen will appear with a status bar to indicate the progress of the update. It will take several minutes for the update to complete. Do not disturb or shut off the power on your Mac mini during this update.
Mac mini EFI will be updated to 0106.03
(I assume they mean it will be MM61.0106.B03 (vs previous MM61.0106.B00), but I've not updated yet. Since I've never seen this issue with an HDMI LCD Display or HDMI HDTV on this sample, not sure I will update. At least not anytime soon.-Mike)
System Requirements: Mac mini (Late 2012)"
Adding the above to my previous page on Late-2012 Mac Mini HDMI Video Problems/Notes/Tips. (As I listed in my article on this (section on my tests), I didn't see any HDMI video problems on a sample here, but many owners have reported the problem as noted in my article and many owner posts in Apple's Mac mini forums.)
(FYI - it's too early to tell yet as I'm posting just as the update was released, but early reports in the original threads (links below from Oct 29th) showed one user saying his flicker problem is more frequent after the update. Some others were more positive and hopefully remain so. It may not help with the problem reported but I'd try a shut down/restart and also try resetting the PRAM and SMC (AC off). Might also be worth disconnecting/reconnecting/power cycling the display.)
[Some later posts there from affected owners with mixed results - some saying the update helped, others not. One owner with worse flicker after the EFI update said zapping the PRAM helped.]
|MacBook Pro/8600M GT and Radeon HD 2600XT Repair/Extension Programs End:|
Just a FYI on 2 programs I've covered here over the years - on Friday (Dec 7th), these 2 apple articles were revised to note the repair extension programs ended on December 7, 2012:
(Added a note to the Video topics page items (and our very long page on the 8600M) about this.)
|Apple/product related Reviews/News/Tips
|New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles: (Dec 7th-10th)
Listing/links to updates, articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.
|Previous news summary:|
Thursday, December 6th, 2012 News Archive
- Final Cut Pro 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6, OS X Server 2.2 Updates
- 2012 Mac Mini DIY Bluetooth module Shielding Info/Video to reduce USB 3.0 interference
- Apple CEO Tim Cook announces plans to manufacture (some) Macs in USA
- Apple acquires TI chip engineers, moves deeper into the world of SoCs
- Apple Hires (ex-windows) computer security researcher Kristin Paget
- Apple patent application for Displays with integrated audio sensors and light emitters
- How to turn your iPhone into a projector (ipico Hand-held Projector)
- TeamViewer 8 Released, with Windows 8 and Retina Support (remote control sw)
- Parallels Desktop 8.0.18354 (camera/usb device fixes)
- New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
- About the OS X Server v2.2 Update
- iOS 6: Wi-Fi network roaming with 802.11k and 802.11r
- Final Cut Pro X 10.0.7, Compressor 4.0.6, Motion 5.0.6 Release notes
- Troubleshooting Home Sharing
- Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters
- Other News/Articles/OT:
- Suomi Satellite Photos of Nighttime Earth From Space
- Top 10 electronics business deals of 2012
- FTC settlement w/Epic Marketplace on Undisclosed Browser History Sniffing
- Why BioShock Infinite's Creator Won't Settle for Success
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!