News Archive for Thursday May 5th, 2011:
Macs | CPU Upgrades | Video | Storage | Audio | Apps/OS/Network | Contact
Miss a Day?
See the previous 3 days' news summary or the Archives.
= Recent Articles and Reviews =
|Some Unlisted Benefits in 2011 iMac and MacBook Pro EFI Updates?|
Despite not being listed by Apple in the docs, OWC said in a Thursday blog post the 2011 iMac updates released last night (see below) enabled SATA III (6Gbit) on the new models. (Optical drive bus still 3Gbit). Previously tests with their SATA 6G SSDs showed only SATA II/3Gbit link speeds.
Also some 2011 MacBook Pro owners have reported the updates helped with WiFi latency issues they'd had previously.
(The other question I had was if the MBP update enabled SATA III on the optical bus as some later build owners had noted but reports I've had so far said that didn't happen.)
If any readers with a 2011 iMac or MacBook Pro apply them and see some benefit/change that's not listed in the Apple doc, let me know the details. Thanks. (I don't have any 2011 macs to test this personally.)
FYI - As has happened in the past with Disk Encryption software, a reader w/2011 MacBook Pro said the updates (even just the EFI firmware update) caused major problems with his Checkpoint (v3.3.0 build 202) software. I'd avoid any installing any system/OS updates in cases like that unless/until the software developer has confirmed they are compatible.
|Recent Articles and Reviews - Listing/links to articles and reviews you may have missed.|
|Previous 3 Days News Summaries:
Wednesday May 4th, 2011
- (2011) MacBook Pro Software Update 1.4
- (2011) MacBook Pro EFI Update 2.1
- (2011) iMac EFI Update 1.6
- OS X v10.6.7 Supplemental Update for 2011 iMac
- iOS 4.3.3 and 4.2.8 Updates (addresses "Location" File concerns)
- Review of iMac 27-inch (3.1GHz, Spring 2011)
- New 27-inch Core I5 IMac/3.1GHz Speed Results
- 2011 iMac Intel 21.5" Teardown
- How-to: replace your MacBook Air SSD with OWC's Aura Pro Express
- Intel's Big Mobile Power Play Could Be With Apple... and ARM?
- Apple Said to Have Hired the Audio Genius Behind THX
- Report: AT&T Says No iPhone 5 This Summer
- Woz Disses deep-pocket patent trolls
- Apple to Retain App Throne, Despite Huge Google Growth
- Boot Camp 3.2 Update for iMac (early 2011)
- Gutenprint Printer Driver Update
- How to combine multiple audio interfaces by creating an aggregate device on Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard (Apple)
- iMac Fast Start: The new user's guide to iMac (Apple)
- Mac OS X Server v10.6: How to enable SSL certificates for Push Notification Server (Apple)
- iMac (Mid 2011): Memory specifications (Apple)
- About the SD and SDXC card slot (Apple)
- iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting (Apple)
- iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (Apple)
- MobileMe: Supported system requirements (Apple)
- MobileMe: Processes may ask for Keychain password too frequently (Apple)
- How to tell if your Intel-based Mac has a 32-bit or 64-bit processor (Apple)
- Compatibility of Apple wired headset models with iPhone, iPad, and iPod models (Apple)
- iPod Displays a Red "X" Icon (Apple)
- MobileMe: Setting up iCal for the new MobileMe Calendar (Apple)
- Where are my iTunes files located? (Apple)
- About Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update for Windows (Apple)
- Advanced troubleshooting for Sync Services on Windows with Microsoft Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, or Outlook 2010 (Apple)
- Removing and reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Apple)
- Locating iPhone wireless carriers (Apple)
- Why Do Intel's 3-D Transistors Matter?
- Demystifying SSD Wear Leveling
- Furniture Company (Rental) Accused of Webcam-Spying on Customers
- Suit against PC renter raises privacy questions
- ATT: Users Wanted Caps, Overages. Company Calls New Pricing System 'Generous'
- Sony Responds to Questions From Congress on Its Data-Breach Attack
- Duke Nukem Escapes From Development Hell
- Nintendo Cuts Wii Price to $150, Throws in Mario Kart
- Activision expected to announce MW 3 in May
Tuesday May 3rd, 2011
Monday May 2nd, 2011
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!