News Archive for Friday, May 3rd, 2013 Goto Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Looking for Feedback on Chameleon SSD Optimizer:|
Looking for feedback on Chameleon SSD Optimizer (Utility to enable TRIM on non-Apple ID SSDs and more) that reportedly works with OS X 10.8.3. (Older pages here years ago had terminal commands to enable Trim (March 2011), disable hibernate mode, delete sleepimage file, disable SMS, etc. manually (July 2009) and (later) linked to an earlier Trim Enabler (only) utility, but Chameleon also includes other features we used to do via terminal.)
I realize many may not want to use 3rd-party mods like this/feel it's not needed, etc. but if you have used Chameleon SSD Optimizer (especially with a Sandforce SSD - Intel 520 or OWC), let me know your experience. ( mail to news at xlr8yourmac.com. Please include OS X version, the SSD model and any Pros/Cons you've seen in use. Thanks.)
(Thanks to Bill, CN, David, Mark and Neil for their feedback. I've now added reports to a separate page.)
|Apple/products related News/Reviews/Software Updates:
= From my Site Sponsor =
Accelsior_E2 PCIe SSD with Dual eSATA III Ports
Mac bootable PCIe SSD with 2 eSATA III Ports
Up to 823MB/s read and 783MB/s write speeds
Can be used in Thunderbolt PCIe expansion chassis
(Previous Accelsior owners can Trade-Up)
|Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
Listing/links of updates to mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed. (Internal Mini-PCIe Card Mods (eSATA/USB 3.0), 2012 Mac Mini SSD upgrades, $250 Mac Pro Dual 3.2GHz Quad-Core CPU Upgrade, DIY OS X Fusion drives, Low-Cost 2006 Mac Mini CPU Upgrades/unofficial EFI updates, 2012 Mac Mini HDMI video problems/display tips/USB 3.0 interference, mods and more)
= From my Site Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac!
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Thursday May 2nd, 2013 News Archive
- Apple Adds (More) SSD Options to iMacs
- Xerox Printer Drivers v2.3 for OS X
- iOS 6.1.4 Update for iPhone 5 ("Updated audio profile for speakerphone")
- Review: Crackle for iOS - Free movies and TV, but ads annoy
- Apple Avoids Potential $9 Billion Tax Bill (via bond sale)
- Adobe working on Lightroom for iOS, uses cloud compute to edit RAW files
- Apple envisions curved batteries for mobile devices
- (Limited Time) 50% off Tropico 3: Gold Edition
- Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Docs:
- What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Printer and scanner software available for download
- Many Archived docs (Apple RAID card fw updates, Xsan, OS X server 10.6)
- Other News/Reviews/Alerts/Tech/OT:
- Intel Doubles Down on Visual Computing - Meet Iris Graphics (intel blog)
- Review: LaCie 5big NAS Pro
- Review: Samsung 60F8500 Plasma HDTV
- Review: Silver Linings Playbook (Blu-ray)
- Games network used to 'mine' Bitcoins illegally
- Mozilla moves to stop spyware from spoofing Firefox
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 10 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / AUDIO =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!