News Archive for Wednesday October 12, 2011:
Macs | CPU Upgrades | Video | Storage | Audio | Apps/OS/Network | Contact
Miss a Day?
See the Archives.
= Recent Articles and Reviews =
|Reader Warning about 10.7.2 Update on Core2Duo upgraded Macs (w/Tip)|
One of the readers that had previously reported running Lion/10.7.1 OK on his Core2Duo CPU Upgraded Mac (originally a core duo model) sent a warning about 10.7.2 reinstalling the supported macs plist. (That file was deleted as part of the workaround to run Lion on C2D upgraded unsupported macs.)
"Subject: Core2 Duo Upgraded Macs and 10.7.2 WARNING
Here's my usual report about latest update of my C2D upgraded iMac 20".
I'm sorry to say that 10.7.2 reinstalls the infamous /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist and Mac doesn't reboot, showing only a "forbidden" icon in place of the apple logo.
(The 10.7.1 update didn't recreate that plist file per several reports earlier this year.)
Booting again (fixing problem/deleting that file) is a very simple task if you have another Mac or a system DVD. (And having a previous OS version bootable clone handy is a very good idea in general. Well worth the cost of the drive IMHO.-Mike)
(If you have another mac) Just press T at the startup bong to boot in target (disk) mode, connect to another Mac using a firewire cable and delete /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist on the newly mounted (C2D Mac's 10.7.2) Volume. (If you have an ext OS X bootable HD, power up w/option key held down and boot from it.)
Or with an OS X system DVD, just boot from it and start Terminal in the Installer menu bar, cd to the actual (Lion) hard disk volume and issue the command:
cd /Volumes/<HD NAME> (name of the C2D mac's 10.7.2 Vol)
Regards and sorry for my bad english.
Server 10.7.2 does the same thing. C2D Upgraded mini owner running Lion server sent a note about that. Same fix (removing file) of course. (I'll add this to the previous posts on the subject put on the Mac Mini C2D CPU upgrades page.)
|OS X Lion Recovery Update:|
"About Lion Recovery Update
That HT4986 doc is titled "About the Lion Recovery Update" and has literally the exact note as above, but also includes a reference link to http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/.
The Lion Recovery Update includes improvements to Lion Recovery and addresses an issue with Find My Mac when using a firmware password.
For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4986.
System Requirements: OS X Lion 10.7"
|OS X 10.7.2, Safari 5.1.1 and Security Update 2006-011 for 10.6.x:|
Matt sent a FYI that 10.7.2 was available via Software Update. When I first posted this the D/L pages were not online yet, but here they are along with about/info docs:
Due to huge demand from all the updates today I've seen intermittent access problems, 404's/503's and very slow downloads at times, but YMMV.
Also released today is Safari 5.1.1 with iCloud support (and more) available for Lion and Snow Leopard (at www.apple.com/safari/download/). The apple docs listing today updated again with more docs related to today's updates. (The details on security fixes in today's updates (SL, Lion and iOS 5) include some related to itunes store and apple acct password security. I hope these updates (and for windows users the fixes in itunes 10.5) may help prevent some of the itunes store acct hijackings that some have experienced in the past.)
|Aperture 3.2 and iPhoto 9.2 Updates with iCloud and iOS 5 Support|
"iPhoto 9.2 supports compatibility with iCloud and iOS 5. This update also addresses minor stability, performance and compatibility issues."
And here's the Aperture 3.2 D/L page and Aperture 3.2 Release notes. (See the apple support docs listing below for a couple related articles also.)
|iOS 5 and Pages and Numbers for iOS v1.5 Released
Apple also released the iOS 5 Software Update that includes many security fixes. And per new Apple docs today, there's also v1.5 updates to Pages for iOS and Numbers for iOS that also include security fixes. (Security content of Numbers for iOS v1.5 and Security content of Pages for iOS v1.5.)
FYI: I don't have a compatible device on hand to try, but there's a growing thread in Apple's forums on problems some iphone (and iPad) users have had - see Cannot restore/update iPhone. Internal error iOS5. Later pages of that thread have some tips that helped some owners. (One reader said he aborted the update on his iPad due to an estimated 9 hours to download it. Lots of updates today and the huge worldwide demand must be taking a toll.)
|(2nd generation) Apple TV v4.4 Update (new features/security fixes):
||View photos recently taken on your iOS device and pushed to your Photo Stream in iCloud.
||Wirelessly stream what's on your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 screen to your HDTV.
|National Hockey League *
||Watch live games. View highlights, scores, and more.
|Wall Street Journal
||Watch up-to-date news, business commentary, and financial analysis from leading experts.
|New Slideshow themes
||Enjoy your photos on your HDTV with new slideshow themes: Photo Wall, Flip-up, Shifting Tiles.
||Added support for subtitles when available.
* Note: Live and on-demand games require a NHL subscription. Blackouts apply. See nhl.com/appletv for details.
Here's the doc About the security content of Apple TV v4.4.
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Docs:
OS X Updates Related:
- About the security content of OS X Lion v10.7.2 and Security Update 2011-006
- About the OS X 10.7.2 Update
- About the Lion Recovery Update
iCloud Related: (Also web page on How to Setup iCloud)
- Apple IDs and iCloud
- iCloud: iCloud security and privacy overview
- MobileMe: About moving to iCloud
- Frequently asked questions about the MobileMe transition and iCloud
- iCloud: Troubleshooting the move from MobileMe to iCloud
- iCloud: MobileMe services that no longer sync after moving to iCloud
- iCloud: Supported system requirements
- iCloud: What if my device or computer doesn't meet iCloud system requirements?
- Creating an iCloud account: Frequently Asked Questions
- iPhoto and Aperture: Using Photo Stream
- iPhoto 9.2, Aperture 3.2: Keychain permissions request may appear when enabling Photo Stream
- iCloud: Resetting your Photo Stream
- iCloud: Managing your iCloud storage
- iCloud: Purchasing iCloud Storage and Billing
- Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store
- iTunes Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases
- iCloud: Calendar & reminder data removed from iCal when disabling iCloud Calendar
- iCloud: Troubleshooting iCloud Reminders and Tasks
- MobileMe: Advanced iCal troubleshooting for MobileMe Calendar data
- iCloud: What version of Windows software am I using for iCloud? (see below for Windows CP updates)
- iCloud: About the iCloud Web App Plugin for Internet Explorer
- iOS: Resolving update and restore alert messages
- iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting
- iOS 5: Updating your device to iOS 5
- About the security content of iOS 5 Software Update
- About the security content of Numbers for iOS v1.5
- About the security content of Pages for iOS v1.5
- iPhone: Which iOS 5 software features does my iPhone support?
- iPod touch: Which iOS 5 software features does my Touch support?
- iOS: How to back up
- iTunes: About iOS backups
- iOS: About Messages
- iOS: Troubleshooting Messages
- iOS: Troubleshooting applications purchased from the App Store
- iOS: Using FaceTime
- iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime
- iOS: Troubleshooting emoji issues
- iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to a computer
- iTunes: How to rename your device
- iOS 5: Understanding the Bluetooth icon
- iOS: Understanding Restrictions
- iOS: Improve backup and restore times by importing Camera Roll or Saved Photos
- iPad: Understanding the side switch
- iPhone: System requirements for Personal Hotspot
- iOS: Setting up VPN
- iOS: Hotmail, Live, or MSN email accounts
- Using iPhone, iPad, or iPod with multiple computers
- Cards: Frequently asked questions
- iPhone and iPad: Calibrating Compass
- iOS 4: Understanding Location Services
- Aperture 3.2: Release notes
- About the security content of Safari 5.1.1
- About Safari 5.1.1 for OS X Lion
- About the security content of Apple TV Software Update 4.4
- Identifying fraudulent "phishing" email
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010): Intermittent black screen or loss of video (deja-vu? hopefully not a repeat of 8600M)
|Previous Articles/Tips/Tweaks/Reviews - Listing/links to articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.|
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
(wider selection below)
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Used 2009-12 Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
SSDs from under $50!
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 8 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / AUDIO =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!