|Archive of July 18th to 22nd, 2022 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Updates/Articles =
|macOS Monterey 12.5 Update|
Released via software update. Includes a long list of Security fixes. (56 CVE's listed.)
Info from what's new in the updates for macOS Monterey 12.5.
"macOS Monterey 12.5 includes enhancements, bug fixes and security updates.
(Also see What's new for enterprise in macOS Monterey 12.5.)
TV app adds the option to restart a live sports game already in progress and pause, rewind, or fast-forward.
Fixes an issue in Safari where a tab may revert back to a previous page.
Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Monterey discussion forum
(VPN or 3rd party Security software may cause problems with OS or security updates.
Apple's article on VPN and 3rd party software issues & the usual advice on updates.
Even though I don't use 3rd party addons, I install macOS updates from a Safe Mode boot.)
|Safari 15.6 for macOS Big Sur & Catalina|
Released via software update for Big Sur & Catalina. (Included in Monterey 12.5.)
Security fixes in Safari 15.6 for CVE-2022-32784, CVE-2022-32792, CVE-2022-2294.
There's also an article on new WebKit Features in Safari 15.6
(Sometimes Safari updates can break 3rd party extensions. Check for issues with the software's developer and at Apple's Safari discussion forums & related macOS forums.)
Our Apple Guides, Tips & Troubleshooting has Safari & Tips for Safari problems sections.
|macOS Big Sur 11.6.8 (Security Update)|
Released via software update. What's new in Big Sur 11.6.8 says
"This update is recommended for all users and improves the security of macOS".
There's a long list of security fixes in macOS Big Sur 11.6.8. (32 CVE's fixed.)
To get 11.6.8 instead of macOS 12.x, check "Other Updates" in Software Update panel.
You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Big Sur discussion forum.
M1 Mac Mini Firmware Update (from Big Sur 11.6.8)
M1 Mac mini updated to macOS 11.6.8 (from 11.6.7) using Safe Mode.
macOS 11.6.8 updated the M1 mini firmware version to 7459.141.1.
(The OS loader version is still 6723.140.2.)
Software Update listed 11.6.8 update as 2.47 GB, & Safari 15.6 as 125.9 MB,
but the actual combined download was shown as 3.36 GB.
(FYI: I'm still using the M1 Macs DVD Player Rosetta tip in macOS 11.6.8.)
|macOS Catalina Security Update 2022-005 (with Download)|
Released via software update or the download link below.
- About the security content of Security Update 2022-005 Catalina (38 CVE's fixed).
- Download Security Update 2022-005 Catalina (1.63 GB)
(After installing this update the Catalina build number is 19H2026.)
You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Catalina discussion forum
|HomePod Software Update 15.6|
From the article About HomePod Software updates for the 15.6 update:
"Software version 15.6 adds Siri voice recognition support in Mandarin Chinese (China mainland, Taiwan), Cantonese (China mainland, Hong Kong), and Japanese (Japan). This update also includes performance and stability improvements."
Here's Apple's article on how to update HomePod.
You can check for feedback in Apple's HomePod forum.
(Our Tips page has a HomePod Apple Guides section.)
|= from my sponsor =|
|iOS 15.6, iPadOS 15.6, tvOS 15.6, watchOS 8.7 Updates|
|SoftRAID 6.3 for Mac|
See the July 19 Mac SoftRAID Change Log for a list of fixes and improvements.
A Free 14 day trial download available.
(OWC has a blog post on SoftRAID Updates Bring Easier Licensing Management.)
|Apple/Products related News, Tips, Updates, PR (later added first)
|This week's Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates
Topic based page of Guides, Tips & Troubleshooting for Mac & iPhone/iPad/watchOS Users.|
|Other News. PR, and Software Updates (later added first)|
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates & troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
July 11th to 15th, 2022 News Archive
- Safari Technology Preview 149.
- Apple M2 MacBook Air (2022) Review.
- How to Setup and Use Screen Time on a Mac.
- Apple introduces Apple Music Sessions.
- Apple & MLB's August "Friday Night Baseball" doubleheader schedule.
- Microsoft Office for Mac v16.63.1 (with Office Suite security update).
- Firefox version 102.1 for iOS/iPad OS 13.0 or later.
- GarageBand Guide: How to Record & Edit a Digital Piano.
- Apple scores record-breaking 52 Emmy Award nominations.
- How to Install Public Betas of macOS Ventura, iOS 16, iPadOS 16.
- How to Use Avid's HDX Card on a Mac Using the Akitio Node Titan.
- App Store Connect API 2.0.
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
- Identify your MacBook Air model updated for 2022 M2 model.
- How to connect to the Internet with your Mac.
- About iCloud Private Relay.
- How to clean your Apple products.
- How to use safe mode on your Mac.
- If your MagSafe cable or power adapter isn't working.
- Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup.
- If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
- How to remove iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch passcode without a computer.
- Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= MAC UPGRADES =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= New/Used Macs =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 8TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HD DIY Kits =
Notebook Drives & DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Video cards, Displays, Adapters, & Cables
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Docks & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!