- Sponsor Ad -
Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Mac Upgrades and Repairs
Last Updated: June 23, 2021
- Apple posts updated OS X 10.7 and OS X 10.8 Installers
- VLC Media Player for Mac version 3.0.16
- See post for info and download.
- Xcode 12.5.1 update
- Firefox 89.0.2 & 89.0.1 Updates
- 89.0.2 includes 1 bug fix for Linux.
- 89.0.1 included a macOS fix for screen flickering when scrolling on an external monitor & 1 security fix.
- Final Cut Pro 10.5.3, Motion 5.5.2, & Compressor 4.5.3 updates
- Mac iMovie version 10.2.4 Update (includes a security fix)
- Safari Technology Preview 126 (with Safari 15 features)
- Download available for macOS Big Sur & Betas of macOS Monterey.
- 03.11.23 Firmware Update for 2021 LG C1/G1/R1 OLED TVs
- post includes info and download pages.
- Chrome 91.0.4472.114 Stable Channel Update (with 4 security fixes)
- Micromat Lifespan 1.0.3 and MachineProfile 1.4.6 updates
- Little Snitch version 5.2.1 Update
Version 5.2.1 is a hotfix for June 14th version 5.2 release.
- Microsoft Office for Mac (365/2019) version 16.50
- Apple Beta Updates
- Beta 3 of macOS Big Sur 11.5, iOS 14.7, iPadOS 14.7, tvOS 14.7, watchOS 7.6.
- Betas of macOS Monterey, Xcode 13, iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, tvOS 15.
- 05.10.04 Update for LG Z9 OLED TV and 75SM9970 LCD TV
- post includes info and firmware update download pages.
- Yamaha RX-A2A/RX-V6A/TSR-700, RX-V4A/TSR-400 Firmware Update 1.34
- RX-A2A/RX-V6A/TSR-700 models get Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization support.
- Yamaha RX-A8A/RX-A6A/RX-A4A Firmware Update 1.13
- iOS 12.5.4 Update (security fixes)
3 fixes, the 2 webkit issues have a note that they may have been actively exploited.
- 05.10.04 Update for LG C9/E9/W9 OLED TVs
- See notes on problems with Dolby Vison content from AVR/Soundbar users.
- Apple Music Lossless Audio, and Spatial audio with Atmos in Apple Music
- 05.10.04 Update for LG B9 OLED TVs
- Applicable models list also includes many LG LCD TV models.
- See notes on problems with Dolby Vison content from AVR/Soundbar users.
- Apple WWDC21 Keynote Video and New OS Press Releases
- With press releases on new OS versions including macOS Monterey.
- TechTool Pro 13.0.4 Update
- Firmware Updates for Onkyo TX-RZ740, RZ840, NR797, RZ3400 Receivers
- linked page also has useful Tips and Tricks for Onkyo RZ Receivers.
- DisplayLink Manager macOS App v1.4 (for macOS Big Sur & Catalina)
- Security Updates for macOS Catalina and Mojave (June 2nd Downloads)
- Download pages posted June 2nd. (Original May 24th updates had Kerberos problems.)
- Updates to Pages, Numbers & Keynote apps for Mac and iOS/iPadOS (version 11.1)
- Added note some reported problems running v11.1 apps on macOS 11.1/11.2 (not 11.4).
- iOS Chrome browser version 91.0.4472.80 update
- 03.13.05 Firmware Update for LG ZX OLED TV
- post includes firmware update download page.
- 03.23.06 Firmware Update for LG CX/GX/WX OLED TVs
- post includes firmware update download pages.
(Some users reported eARC problems after this update.)
- Micromat Drive Scope 1.2.13 update
- Carbon Copy Cloner version 6.0.1 Update
- Long list of fixes and improvements.
- Safari Technology Preview 125
- Download available for macOS Catalina and Big Sur.
- macOS Big Sur 11.4 released (with many security fixes)
- Safari 14.1.1 update for Catalina and Mojave (security fixes)
- iOS 14.6, iPadOS 14.6, tvOS 14.6, watchOS 7.4
- All include a long list of security fixes.
- HomePod Software Update 14.6
- Sony Z9D, A1E TVs Firmware Update 6.7165
- The update's download page "Applicable models list" also includes other models.
- Yamaha TOOLS for NUAGE V2.1.2 for Mac
- Boot Camp 6.1.14 (security fixes)
- Yamaha Update for HDMI 2.1 Compatibility of Select 2020 AV Receivers
(with info on free HDMI board update program in Fall 2021.)
- Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver V1.5.0 for Mac (macOS 11) (requires macOS Big Sur)
- Carbon Copy Cloner version 5.1.27 Update
- Bootable backups on Apple Silicon Macs running macOS Big Sur 11.3 & later, plus 2 fixes.
- Yamaha YAS-109/ATS-1090/YAS-209/ATS-2090 Firmware Update 3.21 (bug fix)
- Geekbench ML 0.5 (Machine learning benchmark for iOS/Android)
- Safari 14.1 revised (new build numbers with security fixes)
- macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 update (security fixes)
- With info on M1 mini firmware update and DVD disc Playback CVM server crashes fixed.
- iOS 14.5.1, iPadOS 14.5.1, iOS 12.5.3, watchOS 7.4.1 (security fixes)
- LG TVs - How to Turn Off AD Tracking, Home Auto Launch & Promotion
- Info on new settings added in some recent firmware updates to LG TVs.
- 05.60.05 Update for USA 2016 LG C6 & E6 OLED TVs
- Applicable models list includes several LG LCD models.
FYI: Download pages originally dated May 3rd, now dated May 27th.
(Same changes notes and unzipped file is same date & time as before.)
- Pixelmator Pro 2.0.8 update
- Apple Configurator 2.14 update
- Logic Pro 10.6.2 and MainStage 3.5.2 Updates
- Security Updates for macOS Catalina and Mojave
- post includes links to download pages for both updates.
- macOS Big Sur 11.3 update
- iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, tvOS 14.5, watchOS 7.4, Apple TV 7.7 Updates
- Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver v3.0.5 for macOS 11 Big Sur
- this driver version requires macOS Big Sur. (See notes.)
- Apple Event Video and New Products/Press Releases
- including new M1 chip iMac, M1 chip iPad Pro, and new Apple TV.
- VirtualBox 6.1.22 Update
- previous 6.1.20 update included an Audio fix for macOS.
- Security Updates for Adobe Photoshop, Digital Editions, Bridge, & RoboHelp
- Yamaha (Ethernet) LAN Monitor v1.6.4 for macOS 11.x (intel), 10.15-10.13
(was originally named "Yamaha Audio Network Monitor".)
- 05.60.20 Update for USA 2016 LG G6 OLED TV
- GarageBand version 10.4.3 update for macOS Big Sur
- Bug and Security fixes.
- 05.00.30 Update for LG C9/E9/W9 OLED TVs
- See post for change info and download link.
- libbluray 1.3.0
- Includes a link to VLC Media Player for Mac download page.
- 05.30.15 Update for LG B8/C8/E8/W8 OLED TVs
- The B8 firmware update's applicable models list includes many LG LCD TVs.
- 03.21.80 Firmware Update for LG BX OLED TVs
- Applicable Models List also includes many LG LCD TV models.
- 03.11.40 Firmware Update for LG ZX OLED TV
- Applicable Models List also includes some LG NANO LCD TV models.
- Geekbench version 5.4 update
- Yamaha RX-A2A/RX-V6A/TSR-700, RX-V4A/TSR-400 AVRs Firmware Update 1.31
- Yamaha YAS-109/ATS-1090/YAS-209/ATS-2090 SoundBars Firmware Update 3.12
- M1 Mac Mini no HDMI video after macOS 11.2.3 Update (fixed)
- After 11.2.3 Update, no HDMI video from the M1 Mini.
- Safari 14.0.3 (v.14610.4.3.1.7 & 15610.4.3.1.7) for macOS Catalina & Mojave. (security fix)
- 06.00.05 Firmware Update for LG B7/C7/E7/W7 OLED TVs
- With info on Ad Tracking & Promotion settings not in the change notes.
- Also info on the TV's new Dolby Vision version update.
- Mac "Silver Sparrow" Malware: How to Find and Remove It (sponsor blog)
- Many Malware posts in Apple's forums on (name) "will damage your computer"
- Includes tips on removing Malware.
- Sony A8/A9 series OLED TVs Firmware Update v6.5042 (A8H, A9G, Others)
- 05.60.06 Update for USA LG B6 OLED TV, UH6330/7650/7700 LCD TVs
- added to the firmware updates listing.
- Firmware Updates for 2018 Yamaha Receivers and CX-A5200 Pre-Pro
- Post has change info and download pages for each affected model/series.
(This version's download pages were originally dated Jan. 15, 2021.)
- Apple article on 2016/2017 MacBook Pro Battery not charging past 1%
- Apple offers to replace affected batteries free of charge. See post for details.
- macOS Catalina Supplemental Update 2, Mojave Security Update 2021-002
- Post includes info and download pages for these updates.
(Also a Apple Forum Tip for macOS Mojave App Store Problems.)
- macOS 11.2.3/11.2.1/11.2 DVD Playback causes CVM Server Crash (M1 Mini)
- Finally fixed in 11.3.1 update.
- Repeatable problem in macOS 11.3/11.2.3/11.2.1/11.2 (was NOT a problem with macOS 11.1).
- Other users also reported repeated CVM Server crashes from various Apps since macOS 11.2.
- M1 Mini using Apple USB SuperDrive (via Apple USB-C to USB adapter or USB-A port).
- 05.00.15 Firmware Update for 2019 LG B9 OLED TVs
(The Applicable Models list also includes many LCD TVs.)
- VirtualBox 6.1.18 Update (includes optimizations for macOS Big Sur Hosts)
- iCloudNotificationAgent Problems (High CPU usage, over 1.9 Million Faults)
- M1 Mac Mini running Big Sur 11.1 - only Apple bundled software used.
- VLC Media Player for Mac version 3.0.12
- See post for info on fixes/improvements and download link.
- Yamaha RX-V481/V481D/V581/A660/HTR-4069/5069/TSR-5810 Firmware Update
- Brother Printer Drivers 4.1.1 for macOS
- Firmware Update for Yamaha RX-A2A/V6A/V4A, TSR-700/TSR-400 Receivers
- 05.30.02 Update for 2018 LG B8/C8/E8/W8 OLED TVs
- Per change notes "Apple AirPlay/HomeKit available in selected countries".
(Some owners have reported WiFi problems after this update.)
- Yamaha RIVAGE PM Editor v4.7.0 for Mac (macOS 10.15 to 10.13)
- Also a Yamaha RIVAGE PM Firmware Update v4.70.
- 27in LED Cinema Display using Powered HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter with M1 Mini
- Panasonic 4K/UHD Player Firmware Updates, Tips and Tricks updated
- Added info on 4K60 Settings, Deep Color Output Priority, Audio & VIERA link.
- Firmware Update for Onkyo TX-RZ740, RZ840, NR797 A/V Receivers
- SoftRAID Comes to the M1 Macs
- Download of SoftRAID v6 Beta that supports M1 Macs and Big Sur.
- Apple Pro Display XDR Firmware Update 4.2.37 (bug fix)
- Requires macOS 10.15.6 or later.
- macOS Server v5.11 (for Big Sur)
- iMovie Updates for macOS and iOS
- HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS (Apple page)
- Hopefully this helps macOS Big Sur users with HP Printer problems.
- For M1 Macs, if the software isn't native, try printer set to open with Rosetta.
- If nothing seems to help, try resetting the printing system.
- Yamaha CL/QL StageMix Version 8.5.1 for iPad
- Yamaha PR lists v8.5, but app store has v8.5.1 of each app.
- Firmware 2.85 for 2015-2017 Yamaha Receivers & CX-A5100
- M1 MacBook Air Video Tests vs 16" MacBook Pro (8-core i9)
M1 MacBook Air (16GB RAM, 512GB SSD) vs
16" MacBook Pro (2.3GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD)
- M1 Mac Mini owners reporting Display Problems
- Dual Displays especially problematic.
- Some (not all) later said macOS 11.1 seems to have helped.
- M1 Mac mini owners reporting Display Problems
- Dual displays especially problematic. Some blame HDMI port.
- Sony A8/A9 Series OLED TVs Firmware Update v6.4960
- Teardown & Benchmarks: M1 Mac mini, MacBook Pro, & MacBook Air
- Windows Migration Assistant v188.8.131.52 for Big Sur (info/download)
- Apple Configurator 2.13.3 update
- Adds support for Big Sur and restoring macOS on M1 Macs.
- Apple Remote Desktop version 3.9.4
- Added support for macOS Big Sur and Apple silicon Macs.
- Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for macOS 10.13.6 (build w/Security Update 2020-006)
- This driver is for build after installing Security Update 2020-006 High Sierra.
(This and previous updates added to our Mac Nvidia Drivers downloads page.)
- $199 Wheel Kit for 2019 Mac Pro (toolless install) (sponsor's pre-order price)
- Rover Pro kit installs in minutes. ($500 less than Apple's $699 Mac Pro Wheels Kit.)
- Apple Updates iMac 27-inch, 21.5-Inch and iMac Pro (Major updates to 27" iMac)
- Sponsor OWC posted a video Teardown of the new 2020 27-inch iMac.
- Apple adds Radeon Pro W5500X MPX Module Option for 2019 Mac Pro
- See post for article and link to apple store Radeon Pro W5500X module ($600 at post time).
- DIY How To Repair and Upgrade Guides for 2019 Mac Pro
- List updated with new guide to Installing or Replacing SSD modules.
(Refers to the new SSD Upgrade Kit modules, available in 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, 8TB sizes.)
- Early 2008 Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.3 (again?)
- Original download page now dated June 5, 2020, but version info has not been updated.
- SteamVR has ended macOS support
- Nvidia Geforce NOW Info and Mac Requirements
- Includes macOS requirements, tested Mac Models and Internet speeds required.
(And a limited time "Founders membership" offer - 3 months free, then $4.99/month for 2020.)
- How to Setup OWC Accelsior 4M2 card for Mac Boot Drive + RAID 0
- Hackintosh Benchmarks: 8 Core i9-9900K, 2x 1TB NVMe, RX580 Nitro+ updated.
(Added Geekbench 5.1 vs 5.0.4 CPU, OpenCL, and Metal scores.)
- Has list of hardware for mini-ITX build plus NVMe SSD Disk Speed & GFXBench Metal results.
- 2019 Mac Pro Teardowns at OWC and iFixit
- DIY How To Repair and Upgrade Guides for 2019 Mac Pro
- RAM, PCIe cards, Power Supply, I/O Card, Radeon Pro modules, Pegasus RAID module, AfterBurner.
(Also includes Apple Pro Display XDR Set up & Using multiple displays with 2019 Mac Pro.)
- Download Legacy Content Packages for Logic 9 and MainStage 2
- Hackintosh Benchmarks: Mojave 10.14.5 vs High Sierra 10.13.6
(Added macOS Mojave 10.14.5 vs High Sierra 10.13.6 benchmark results.)
- 802.11n AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Firmware 7.8.1 (Security Update)
- 802.11ac Airport Extreme Base & Time Capsule Firmware 7.9.1 (Security Update)
- See post for more details on security fixes and how to apply the firmware update.
- Tip for VirtualBox problems with macOS Mojave
- Review of I/O Crest Syba Dual M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe card in a Mac Pro 5,1 (running 10.14.2)
(With Amorphous Disk Mark, Blackmagic & AJA Disk Speed results. Updated with note on RAID 0 speeds.)
- SMC Reset Tip (not in Apple's article - fixed older iMac FW800 port problem after power failure)
- Reader's Benchmarks with NVMe SSD Upgrade vs SATA SSD (Mini-ITX Hackintosh)
- 2018 Mac mini Take-Apart and RAM Upgrade Guides
Although Apple recommends they do it, the 2018 Mini's RAM modules can be user replaced.
Links to guides to replacing RAM modules and 2018 Mini disassembly + RAM upgrade video.
- macOS Mojave Benchmarks from Mac Pro/Radeon RX 580 owner
- With RX580 vs 5770 Benchmarks. 10.14.1 updates firmware to 184.108.40.206.0 (with boot NVMe support).
- SSD Firmware Updates to Address Vulnerabilities in some models (CVE-2018-12037, CVE-2018-12038)
(Lists some Crucial and Samsung SSD models, with specific details. Also links to Samsung's Notice.)
- Tip for macOS Mojave users with "No Wi-Fi Hardware Installed" problem
(usually if you see "No Wi-Fi Hardware Installed", Ethernet also not working)
- Metal, OpenCL, Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13.6 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
(Also GeekBench CPU scores - Reader built Hackintosh with 6-core i7 8700 CPU at 3.2GHz)
- Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13.5 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
(Also GeekBench results - Reader built Hackintosh with 6-core i7 8700 CPU at 3.2GHz)
- Radeon R9 280X Benchmarks in Mac Pro (used with Mac Pro 5,1 & Mac Pro 3,1)
- Report on Low-Cost Vantec USB 3.0 PCI-e Card (Mac Pro 5,1, macOS 10.13)
(And post on Sleep Problems w/USB 3.0 card in 2008 Mac Pro - request for card w/o sleep problems)
- Firmware Update for OWC USB-C Dock with HDMI (revised info)
- Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
- Unigine Valley/Heaven Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.12.6 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
- Reports on DIY 2009 Mac Pro 12-Core (Dual Xeon X5690/5670) CPU Upgrades (updated)
- Updated first report on page of 2009 Mac Pro 6-Core CPU Upgrades to add Dave's notes on
swapping his single CPU tray for a dual CPU tray, and buying another X5690 CPU.
- MacBook Pro ExpressCard reports page updated
(macOS Sierra user report on SI3132 eSATA expresscard driver problem)
- Tip for OS X Installer "Can't be Verified" error (due to expired Apple certificate)
- Another Report/Reminder to Check 2009-2012 Mac Pro Northbridge Heat Sink Retainers
- Often a cause of overheating shutdowns and kernel panics. (Plastic retainers may break over time.)
- Late 2009 27-Inch iMac Radeon Card Repair (BGA reball to repair cracked solder joints)
- Low-Cost eSATA and USB 3.0 PCIe cards in Mac Pro 5,1
- Reports on 2009 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 6-core CPU Upgrade (with Mac Pro 5,1 EFI)
- HGST 6TB NAS Hard Drive not mounting on restart in 2009-2012 Mac Pros
(drive mounts from a cold boot, but not after a reboot)
- Frequent Notebook Hard Drive Head Unloading (clicking) Revisited
- About Using OS X 'HDAPM' to disable Hard Drive Energy Saving Mode (reports/download/info)
- Another report on 2009 Mac Pro Upgrades (3.46GHz CPU, GPU, RAM, EFI)
- 2009 Mac Pro owner notes on (12-core) Dual 3GHz X5675 Upgrade and More
- Report on 2009 Mac Pro CPU Upgrade and mainboard Repairs
- Info on (user compiled) NTP Update for OS X 10.6/Snow Leopard
- More on 2009-2012 Mac Pro Northbridge Heatsink Retainer Repairs (fix overheating)
- Reports on Combo 802.11ac Wifi + Bluetooth 4.0 card kit for Mac Pros (added 4th report)
- 2006/2007 Mac Mini eSATA Card Mod Reports page updated (using ASM1061 based SATA3 card)
- Reminder on Screen Sharing & iTunes HD video playback problems (HDCP)
- Another 2009 Mac Pro NB (overheating) Heatsink Retainer Repair added to previous info
- Tips for fixing HDCP Errors playing iTunes HD Movies/TV shows
(Notes, Causes and Tips that have helped in the past)
- Seagate/WD SATA3 Drive Jumper Tips for older Macs with SATA1 interfaces
- 2009 Mac Pro 6-core CPU Upgrade (3.46GHz W3690), Fixing NB Heatsink Retainers:
- 2009 Mac Pro 12-core CPU Upgrade - Dual 2.93GHz X5670 Westmere CPUs
- Report: QuickerTek 802.11ac QCard2 in 15" Retina MacBook Pro
- Mac Pro Northbridge High Temperatures? Check for a Broken Heatsink Retainer
- Reminder on which SATA2 Mac models that run SATA3 Drives at SATA1 speed
- Another Low-Cost 2009 Mac Pro Quad-Core 3.2GHz CPU Upgrade
- Report: 2008 Mac Pro with Asus PCE-AC68 802.11ac PCIe card and OS X 10.10
- Report: iMac eSATA Mini-PCIe card Mod (updated)
- Late 2013 Mac Pro (DIY) CPU Upgrades and Benchmarks
- Report: 2006 Xserve Dual 3GHz Quad-Core X5365 CPUs Upgrade ($150)
- 2013 Mac Pro Guides on Installing/Removing Flash Drive, Ram, Multiple Displays, Audio & More
- Report: 2006 Mac Pro (1,1) Dual X5355 (Quad-Core) CPU Upgrade (under $60)
- 2007 Mac Pro (2,1) running OS X 10.9 Mavericks (with Radeon 7970 card)
- 2006 Mac Pro Dual Quad-Core CPUs ($70), EFI, PC 5770 ($75) Video Card Upgrades
- Setting OS X DVD Player to Output 5.1 Digital Audio (vs PCM) via HDMI to AVR/HDTV
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= MAC UPGRADES =
Upgrades just for
= New/Used Macs =
(Click for List)
= SSDs up to 8TB =
Fast SSDs for Most Macs/PCs
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12TB HDDs
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HD DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Repairs & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!