|January 23rd to 27th, 2023 News & Updates Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Updates/Articles =
|macOS Ventura 13.2 (new features, improvements, security fixes)|
What's new in macOS Ventura lists these new features and fixes:
"This update introduces Security Keys for Apple ID, and includes other enhancements and bug fixes for your Mac.
Also see What's new for enterprise in macOS Ventura for related features/fixes.
- Security Keys for Apple ID allow users to strengthen the security of their account by requiring a physical security key to sign in.
- Fixes an issue in Freeform where some drawing strokes created with Apple Pencil or your finger may not appear on shared boards.
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver may stop offering audio feedback while you are typing
Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices."
About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.2 lists 26 CVEs fixed.
- Apple's macOS Ventura discussion forum.
(VPN or 3rd party Security software may cause problems with OS or security updates.
Apple's article on VPN and 3rd party software issues & the usual advice on updates.)
|macOS Monterey 12.6.3 Update (security fixes)|
What's new in the updates for macOS Monterey for version 12.6.3 says:
"This update provides important security fixes and is recommended for all users."
About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.3 lists 18 CVE's fixed.
You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Monterey discussion forum.
|macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 Update (security fixes)|
Apple's article on Security fixes in macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 lists 8 CVE's fixed.
(To get 11.7.3 instead of an Upgrade, check "Other Updates" in Software Update panel.)
If the update doesn't show, try checking from a Safe Mode boot.
You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Big Sur discussion forum.
(Posts say 11.7.3 fixes the problem of L2TP VPNs not working after macOS 11.7.2 update).
M1 Mac Mini Firmware Update (from Big Sur 11.7.3)
M1 Mac mini updated to macOS 11.7.3 (from 11.7.2) using Safe Mode.
After macOS 11.7.3 update, the M1 mini firmware version is 8419.80.7.
(Firmware version after macOS 11.7.2 update was 8419.60.44.)
Software Update listed macOS 11.7.3 as 2.45 GB (from 11.7.2), & Safari 16.3 as 128.5 MB,
but the actual combined download was shown as 3.43 GB (typical).
|Safari 16.3 for macOS Big Sur and Monterey (security fixes)|
Released via software update for Big Sur and macOS Monterey.
- About Security fixes in Safari 16.3 lists 3 webkit CVEs fixed.
There's also an article on WebKit Features in Safari 16.3.
(Sometimes Safari updates can break 3rd party extensions. Check for issues with the software's developer and at Apple's Safari discussion forums & related macOS forums.)
Safari Favorites/Bookmark Icons removed after Safari 16.3 Update
(Update: After Feb. 16 Safari 16.3.1 (2nd update) & macOS 11.7.4, Icons are back.)
Many threads and posts in the macOS Big Sur forum about all website icons are lost, and saved bookmarks only appear in grey after updating to Safari 16.3 (and macOS 11.7.3). Dozens say they reported this using Apple's feedback page. (Was this done to prevent downloading an image with malware?)
|Safari Technology Preview 162|
See the release notes for a list of changes, fixes and improvements.
A download is available for macOS Monterey 12.3 or later and macOS Ventura.
(If a previous version is installed, use software update in System Prefs.)
|HomePod Software Update 16.3|
From the article about HomePod Software updates for version 16.3:
HomePod software version 16.3 includes support for new features for your HomePod. This update also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.
Here's Apple's article on how to update HomePod.
- Temperature and humidity sensing measures your indoor climate with HomePod (2nd generation) and HomePod mini.
- Remastered ambient sounds are more immersive and can now be added to scenes, automations, and alarms in the Home app.
- Find My on HomePod now enables you to ask Siri for the location of friends and family, if they have shared it with you.
- Recurring Home automations can be set up using just your voice.
- Siri confirmation tone will now play to indicate when smart home requests are completed for accessories that may not visibly show a change or are located in a different room.
- Audio tuning optimizes spoken content such as podcasts for even greater clarity on HomePod (2nd generation) and HomePod (1st generation).
- Updated volume controls on HomePod (1st generation) give you more granular adjustments at lower volumes."
(Our Tips page has a HomePod Apple Guides section.)
You can check for feedback in Apple's HomePod forum.
|tvOS 16.3 Update (security fixes)|
Released Jan. 24, 2023. Info from about tvOS Updates for version 16.3:
"This update includes general performance and stability improvements".
tvOS 16.3 also includes security fixes (11 CVE's fixed).
You can check feedback in Apple TV discussion forum.
|iOS 16.3, iPadOS 16.3 and watchOS 9.3 Updates|
|iOS 15.7.3 and iPadOS 15.7.3 (security fixes)|
(FYI: Reportedly this update is not compatibile with iPads that can run iPadOS 16.)
As noted above, if you're running iPadOS 15.x on an iPad that's compatible with iPadOS 16, the iPadOS 15.7.3 update will not appear. Basically forcing an iPadOS 16.3 upgrade if you want the latest security fixes. I know some affected owners are not happy about this. (IIRC, iOS 15.7.2 dropped support for iPhones that were iOS 16 compatible, although iPads were still able to get iPadOS 15.7.2.)
|iOS 12.5.7 Update (WebKit security fix)|
Released via software update. About iOS 12.5.7 says
"This update provides important security updates and is recommended for all users".
Here's the details on security fixes in iOS 12.5.7.
Available for: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPod touch (6th generation)
Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited against versions of iOS released before iOS 15.1."
|This week's Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first)
Topic based Guides, Tips & Troubleshooting for Mac & iPhone/iPad/watchOS/tvOS Users.|
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates & troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
|Previous News Archive Summary:
January 16th to 20th, 2023 News Archive
- New M2 Max/M2 Pro MacBook Pro and Mac mini M2/M2 Pro.
- New HomePod (2nd Generation).
- Firefox 109.0 and Firefox ESR 102.7 (w/security fixes).
- Firefox version 109 for iOS/iPadOS 13 or later.
- Firefox Focus: Privacy browser version 109.0 for iOS/iPadOS 14 or later.
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
- Freeware VM VirtualBox version 7.0.6..
- LG C2 & G2 OLED TVs Firmware Update 03.30.16.
- SVS Subwoofer Control iOS App version 1.3.65 (for iOS 11 or later).
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
= Popular Links =
Dual M.2 NVMe
SSD PCIe Card
(Mac Pro 5,1)
LG OLED TV Firmware
LG OLED TV Tips
Audio/Home Theater Updates
TV, AVR, and Disc Player Tips