|Archive of Nov. 30th to December 4th, 2020 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|M1 MacBook Air Video Tests vs 16" MacBook Pro (8-core i9)|
(from sponsor OWC)
|Little Snitch version 5.0.4 Update|
Dec. 1st dated Little Snitch 5.0.4 update for macOS Big Sur.
The release notes lists improvements, bug fixes and known issues.
(The "Known Issues" list with Big Sur 11.0.1 notes 2 items are fixed in macOS 11.1.
And lists incompatibile 3rd party software, including security related apps & Ad blockers.)
|Apple Pro Display XDR Firmware Update 4.2.30|
Info from Apple's What's new in firmware updates for the Pro Display XDR.
Display Firmware 4.2.30
The article includes how to check your display firmware version.
- Adds support for in-field recalibration of the display using Pro Display XDR Calibrator. Enables specific color workflows that may require custom calibration by an in-house spectroradiometer. Learn more.
- Minor stability improvements.
Requires macOS 10.15.6 or later.
(If your XDR Display Presets are missing after an update, see this tip.)
|Micromat MachineProfile 1.4.1 Update|
Changes in MachineProfile version 1.4.1 (use in-app update check):
- Updated for macOS 11 "Big Sur" support.
- Added Apple Silicon processor support.
- Added MacBook Air (M1, 2020) support.
- Added MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) support.
- Added Mac mini (M1, 2020) support.
- Now requires OS X 10.9 'Mavericks' or greater.
- Fixed generic volume icon issue in Drives tab.
- Updated machine and location identification strings.
- Other minor fixes and enhancements.
|iPhone 11 Display Replacement Program for Touch Issues|
Apple has a iPhone 11 Display Module Replacement Program for Touch Issues.
Here's a clip from the program page:
"Apple has determined that a small percentage of iPhone 11 displays may stop responding to touch due to an issue with the display module. Affected devices were manufactured between November 2019 and May 2020.
See linked program page for details on the service process.
If your iPhone 11 has been exhibiting this issue, please use the serial number checker (on linked page) to see if your device is eligible for this program. If so, Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will provide service, free of charge."
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR
= from my sponsor =
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.
- How to use safe mode on your Mac (updated for M1 Macs)
- Booting in Safe mode is a common troubleshooting tip.
(Safe Mode doesn't use non-essential drivers/addons, deletes caches, etc.)
- How to Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV
- How to Use AirPlay to stream audio
- How to create a bootable installer for macOS
- Covers Big Sur to El Capitan.
- How to Back up Final Cut Pro X 10.1 or later
- Apple web server notifications (security fixes)
- iMovie for macOS supported Cameras
- Mac Startup Key Combinations (for Intel-based Macs)
- How to identify your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad
- Cameras supported by Final Cut Pro X
- What's new in Apple Configurator 2.13.3 (was called 2.13.2)
- Supports Big Sur/M1 Macs. See requirements for this version.
- How to get old versions of macOS
(Replaces previous separate articles on how to upgrade to older OS versions.)
- If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine
- Identify your MacBook Air model
- About Startup Security Utility (for Macs with Apple T2 Chip)
- Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty
- was titled "Vintage and Obsolete products".
- Safely open apps on your Mac
- Identify your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad
- How to use function keys on MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
- If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- How to use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
= from my sponsor =
OWC Envoy Pro Elektron
Fast, Tough Mini-Sized USB-C Bus-Powered SSD, from $99
|Other News, and Software/Firmware Updates (later first)|
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
November 23rd to 27th, 2020 News Archive
- Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.23 Update.
- Windows Migration Assistant v18.104.22.168 for Big Sur.
- Little Snitch version 5.0.3 Update.
- Why Are The Memory Options So Limited on New M1 Macs?
- Developers say App Store Small Business Program is good for business.
- Teardown & Benchmarks: M1 Mac mini, MacBook Pro, & MacBook Air.
- How to Use the New Control Center in macOS Big Sur.
- Webkit blog article on MediaRecorder API.
- iOS Chrome for iOS version 87.0.4280.77 (for iOS 12.2 or later).
- Pixelmator for iOS version 2.6.3.
- What Is Apple's "Thunderbolt / USB 4" vs. PC-Windows Thunderbolt 4?
- Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.4 for Mac macOS 10.15-10.12.
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
- Mac computers with Apple silicon.
- About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers.
- How to Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac (Intel-CPU Macs).
- How to Reset the SMC of your Mac (Intel-CPU Macs).
- Enterprise management of legacy system extensions in Big Sur.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 8TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!