|Archive of December 21st to 25th, 2020 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|27in LED Cinema Display using Powered HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter with M1 Mini|
I've seen M1 Mini owners wanting to use a Apple 27" LED Cinema Display report problems with various mini DisplayPort adapters, but an M1 owner reported success with a USB Powered (Active) HDMI to DisplayPort adapter. (A DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter is also required, as the LED Cinema display cable is mini DisplayPort.) Foinnex was mentioned, but Cable Matters also has a (USB powered) active HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter. (Google "Powered HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter" for sources.)
The powered ("Active") Adapter has a USB cable attached for connecting to a powered USB port or a USB wall charger. The Cable Matters active adapter specs lists 2560 by 1440 @60Hz as a supported resolution, which is the native resolution of the 27" LED Cinema Display.
(BTW: Lots of problem reports from M1 Mac owners using Adapters. I wonder if it's related to the M1 chip's energy saving design. Energy Saver settings didn't seem a fix for those with problems.)
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR (later added first)
- Mojave forum thread on Security Update 2020-007 NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID
(May not help but Security Update 2020-007 D/L page was posted days after release.)
Some High Sierra users had also reported problems after Security Update 2020-006.
- New Apple support article on ultrawide or super-ultrawide external displays connected to M1 Macs not showing some supported resolutions. "Apple is aware of this issue and resolution is planned for a future macOS update." (Article includes reminder on using the Option key to see additional resolutions.) Hopefully future updates fix the many other external display problems reported in the Mac Mini forum. (Also many owners reporting Bluetooth problems, deja vu from 2012 Mini Bluetooth/USB 3.0 interference issues. If possible, use 5GHz WiFi, not 2.4GHz.)
- Apple's $549 AirPods Max Headphones Offer Big Sound and Bugs (bloombeg)
- FCPX Summit: Thunderbolt 4, macOS 11, Apple M1 Macs, & iPhone (sponsor blog)
- Pixelmator Pro version 2.0.3 (Same change info as v2.0.2)
- Adds support for Apple ProRAW photos, improves shadow and highlight recovery, includes three new effects, brings the ability to use the WebP format in the Export for Web tool, and more.
- SoftRAID Comes to the M1 Macs (sponsor blog)
- Yamaha version 8.5.1 updates of CL StageMix app & QL StageMix app for iOS 12 or later.
- Apple Seeks to Cut VirnetX Patent Loss That Could Top $1 Billion (bloomberg)
- A landmark year of giving from Apple (pr)
= from my sponsor =
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.|
|Other News, Software/Firmware Updates, and Reviews
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
December 14 to 18, 2020 News Archive
- macOS Big Sur 11.1 Update (info).
- Download Security Update 2020-001 for macOS Catalina.
- Download Security Update 2020-007 for macOS Mojave.
- Safari 14.0.2 update for macOS Mojave and Catalina (Security fixes).
- Updates to Final Cut Pro, Compressor, MainStage, Logic Pro, Logic Remote app.
- iOS 14.3, iPadOS 14.3, tvOS 14.3, iOS 12.5, watchOS 7.2 & 6.3.
- Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.24 Update.
- HomePod Software Update 14.3.
- Apple Pro Display XDR Firmware Update 4.2.37.
- Total War: WARHAMMER II The Twisted & The Twilight for macOS.
- Apple Adds TV Service to Google Chromecast, Continuing Expansion.
- Writing Code With Apple's New M1 Macs - How Does it Stack Up?
- Mac Microsoft Office v16.44 (w/Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint Security fixes).
- Thunderbolt Devices, macOS 11, and What We Can Verify.
- macOS Server v5.11 for Big Sur (with security fixes).
- Apple Xcode 12.3 (for macOS 10.15.4 or later).
- Mac iMovie version 10.2.2 (for macOS 10.15.6 or later).
- iOS iMovie version 2.3.2 (for iOS 14.0 or later).
- Apple Clips version 3.0.1 (for iOS 14.0 or later).
- How to Use the new Safari Extensions in macOS Big Sur.
- Sonnet Fusion Dual U.2 SSD PCIe Card Review.
- Firefox 84.0 has security fixes, native M1 Mac support.
- Firefox ESR 78.6 update includes security fixes.
- OWC Named CES 2021 Innovation Awards Honoree.
- Firmware Updates for Yamaha Receivers and CX-A5100.
- Sabrent Rocket XTRM-Q USB/Thunderbolt 3 Dual Mode External SSD Review.
- Pro Audio: Best New Audio Products Roundup (December 2020).
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 8TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!