|Archive of November 9th to 13th, 2020 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|Apple announces new Apple M1 Chip Based Macs
|macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 and Xcode 12.2 Released
(Big Sur is a dot zero, major OS upgrade - I'd not install it over my work macOS version.)
|Little Snitch version 5.0.2 Update|
November 13th Little Snitch 5.0.2 update for macOS Big Sur.
The release notes lists improvements and several bug fixes.
|Final Cut Pro 10.5, Compressor 4.5, Motion 5.5, MainStage 3.5, Pro Video Formats 2.2|
- Release notes, What's New, and Pro Video Formats download on this page.
|Safari 14.0.1 Update for macOS Catalina and Mojave|
Available via software update, includes security fixes.
|Security Update 2020-006 for macOS Mojave and High Sierra (w/Downloads)|
Security Update 2020-006 for Mojave, & High Sierra via software update or download pages.
(On release day, Apple reported problems with the Software Update server.)
Here's the article on Kernel and FontParser security fixes.
(For those that had problems via software update, I'm curious if the download update helps.)
NOTE: Apple's High Sierra forum has several threads on problems running App Store Apps (CODESIGNING error) after the update for High Sierra. Not sure if the download updaters will help. Example threads (although some cite a fresh install of High Sierra?) here, here, and here.)
A reader (Bill S.) said he's had no problems with App Store apps after applying the High Sierra Security Update 2020-006:
"I have very few apps from the app store, but those still work okay after the 2020-006 Security update. If you can tell me one example of a particular app that has been reported not to work, I will download it and give it a try.
I don't think it was related to specific apps, but a general (codesigning) issue.
(BTW - Bill also has another Hackintosh running macOS Mojave.)
FYI: If you use Nvidia's web graphics drivers for 10.13.6, the Security Update's new build number requires a driver update. See Nov. 17th, 2020 update on our Mac Nvidia Drivers page.
|Geekbench 5.3 Update (supports M1 chip Macs)|
The blog post on Geekbench v5.3 notes:
- Introduce support for Apple Silicon Macs.
Geekbench 5.3 is a Universal binary and can now measure the native performance of Apple Silicon Macs and Intel Macs. Geekbench 5.3 can also measure the Rosetta 2 performance of Apple Silicon Macs.
- Introduce support for VAES256 instructions.
Geekbench 5.3 includes a VAES256 implementation of the AES-XTS workload, which will improve performance on processors that support VAES256 instructions but not VAES512 instructions (e.g., the AMD Zen 3 processors). Processors that support both VAES256 and VAES512 instructions (e.g., the Intel Ice Lake and Tiger Lake processors) will use the existing VAES512 implementation of the AES-XTS workload.
- Geekbench 5.3 CPU Benchmark scores are compatible with Geekbench 5.1 and Geekbench 5.2 scores (except when run on Apple Silicon Macs or AMD Zen 3 processors, in which case 5.3 scores will be higher than 5.2 scores). Geekbench 5.3 Compute Benchmark scores are compatible with Geekbench 5.2.
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR (later added first)
- I've added Nov. 11th dated downloads of the macOS 10.15.7 Supplemental Update and a macOS 10.15.7 Combo Update to the Nov. 5th page on the Supplemental update.
- Carbon Copy Cloner article on Bootable Big Sur backups updated with this note:
"Apple addressed some of the APFS replication issues in the Big Sur 11.0.1 update, and CCC 5.1.23-b1 includes support for making bootable backups on Big Sur. This build is also a Universal Binary, so it will run natively on M1 Macs. Obviously we won't know if it will make a bootable backup of an M1 Mac yet, but we'll be sorting that out over the next few weeks during the CCC 5.1.23 beta cycle. To access the beta, go to CCC's Preferences > Software Update and check the box to be informed of beta releases, then click the button to check for updates. Please note that this does not change our advice on waiting for the upgrade, we think it's best practice to wait for some OS updates to come along before applying a major OS upgrade to a production Mac."
- How to Save a File as a PDF Using macOS Preview in 3 Easy Steps (sponsor blog)
- CNAME Cloaking and Bounce Tracking Defense (apple webkit blog)
- "Covers several enhancements to Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP) in Safari 14 on macOS Big Sur, Catalina, and Mojave, iOS 14, and iPadOS 14 to address our latest discoveries in the industry around tracking."
- iPhone and iPad apps are coming to Mac (apple developer news)
- Can You Use Your OWC Thunderbolt Gear with Apple M1 Macs? (sponsor pr)
- Apple TestFlight iOS App v3.0.0 (app store)
- Support for automatic updates, ensuring you're testing the latest beta build.
- Stability improvements and bug fixes.
- A Closer Look at the November 2020 Apple Event (sponsor blog)
- Microsoft Office for Mac (365/2019) version 16.43 (20110804)
- See Nov. 10, 2020 release notes. (with security update for Excel.)
- Use Your iPhone or iPad to Record Video Directly on Your Mac (sponsor blog)
- Yamaha ProVisionaire Touch iOS App v3.7.0 (Free, for iOS 11 or later)
(Customizable wireless iPad control for Yamaha PA systems)
- Added the "External Events" function.
- Modified (fixed?) the small bugs.
- Yamaha Announces ProVisionaire Version 3.8 Update (pr)
- ProVisionaire Touch for iPad product page with details, supported devices, etc.
(Down the page is a ProVisionaire Touch Setup Guide (PDF) download.)
- Reuse, Recycle: Set Up a Mac mini as a Linux Server (sponsor blog)
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first)
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.
= from my sponsor =
|Other News, Tips, Software/Firmware Updates, PR, OT (later added first)
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
November 2nd to 6th, 2020 News Archive
- macOS 10.15.7 Supplemental Update (security fixes)
- macOS 10.15.7 Supplemental Update Download pages (dated Nov. 11th)
- Little Snitch version 4.6 (for Catalina) and v5.0 (Big Sur)
- HomePod Software Update 14.2
- iOS 14.2, iPadOS 14.2, tvOS 14.2, and iOS 12.4.9 updates
- watchOS 7.1, watchOS 6.2.9, watchOS 5.2.9 updates
- CCC article on Bootable Backups on macOS Big Sur
- Starting Dec. 8, 2020, Apps must have privacy info answered
- VoiceOver & Speaking Text: How to Have Your Mac Read to You
- XCOM 2 Collection released for iOS
- Coronavirus Exposure Notifications Systems: How They Work on iOS
- Apple Must Pay VirnetX $503 Million in Security-Patent Trial
- Free Workshop: Mastering Your Home Studio Mixes
- Security Updates for Adobe Acrobat and Reader
- Seagate IronWolf 125 SSD Review
- OWC Acquires BRU Family of Backup, Archival, and Storage Solutions
- Chrome 86.0.4240.183 Stable Channel Update (w/10 security fixes)
- Firmware Update for Onkyo TX-RZ740, RZ840, NR797 A/V Receivers
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!