|Archive of March 21st to 25th, 2022 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Updates/Articles =
|Carbon Copy Cloner version 6.1.1 Release Notes|
(Free 30 day trial available at https://bombich.com/download.)
Info from the March 23, 2022 Carbon Copy Cloner v6.1.1 release notes:
More info on Carbon Copy Cloner 6 (including free 30 day trial) at bombich.com.
- Fixed an exception that was causing tasks to fail with no clear reason when a task was configured with a remote Mac source or destination, and the specification for that remote Mac was missing a "volume name" attribute.
macOS 12.3 introduced a problem that causes Legacy Bootable Copies of the system to fail on Apple Silicon Macs. In earlier beta builds of 12.3, that failure rendered the destination unmountable. In the final release of 12.3, that failure is now innocuous. CCC now ignores the error and completes the task. Please note that we still recommend using this procedure only when making a copy of the system that you intend to use immediately (e.g. when migrating to a new disk, or setting up a sandbox test system). A CCC "Standard Backup" provides a more comprehensive strategy for regularly-updated backups.
- Fixed a cosmetic accounting issue that was making it look like more files were re-verified than were copied. Also fixed an errant subtask timeout that was occurring during postflight verification.
|Apple Configurator version 2.15.1|
Info from what's new in Apple Configurator.
What's new in Apple Configurator 2.15.1:
App store link for Apple Configurator 2.15.1. Requires macOS 10.15.6 or later.
- Support for new hardware.
- Bug fixes and performance improvements.
More details are in the Requirements to use Apple Configurator 2 article.
|VLC Media Player 3.3.0 for iOS/iPadOS/tvOS|
From the March 21, 2022 VLC press release:
"VLC media player for iOS, iPadOS and tvOS version 3.3
The VLC media player App Store page has a long list of "What's New".
We have exciting news to share. VLC media player for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Apple TV will receive a major update on the App Store today!
It will be available free of charge in any country, requires iOS 9.0 or later and runs on iPhone 4S, iPad 2nd generation, 1st generation iPad mini and Apple TV HD or any later device.
This update adds a completely re-written video playback interface, adds support for browsing NFS and SFTP network shares, includes major speed improvements avoiding heating issues and greatly improves the local media library appearance especially for audio. Further, it enables a full black theme and access to all locally stored media including on external devices such as attached USB thumb drives. Of course, it adds various small fixes and many special interest features such as SAT>IP support.
VLC for iOS is fully open-source. Its code is available online and is bi-licensed under both the Mozilla Public License Version 2 as well as the GNU General Public License Version 2 or later. The MPLv2 is applicable for distribution on the App Store."
(App store page Requirements lists iOS/iPadOS 9.0 or later, & tvOS 11.0 or later.)
|Apple Studio Display Firmware Update 15.4|
Info from what's new in firmware updates for Apple Studio Display.
Studio Display Firmware Update 15.4:
Article includes how to update the Studio Display's firmware.
- Adds support for Boot Camp on Intel-based Mac computers.
- Minor stability improvements.
(Requires macOS Monterey 12.3 or later.)
|Safari Technology Preview 142 (A later version exists now.)|
See the release notes for a list of changes, fixes and improvements.
A download is available for macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey.
(If a previous version is installed, use software update in System Prefs.)
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR (later added first)|
|Firefox and Chrome Browser Updates|
(Versions below are from late March 2022.)
|This week's Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first)
Topic based page of Guides, Tips & Troubleshooting for Mac & iPhone/iPad/watchOS Users.|
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates & troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
|Previous News Archive Summary:
March 14th to 18th, 2022 News Archive
- Safari 15.4 for macOS Big Sur & Catalina.
- Article on new WebKit features in Safari 15.4.
- Logic Pro 10.7.3 release notes.
- MainStage 3.6 release notes.
- Mac GarageBand version 10.4.6.
- What's new in macOS Monterey 12.3 (and security fixes).
- macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 (Security Update).
- M1 Mac Mini Firmware Update.
- macOS Catalina Security Update 2022-003 Info & Download.
- Xcode 13.3 Update (with security fixes).
- iOS 15.4, iPadOS 15.4, tvOS 15.4, watchOS 8.5 (security updates).
- Apple TV (3rd Generation) Software version 7.9.
- HomePod Software Update 15.4.
- What's new in Shortcuts in iOS 15.4 & macOS 12.3.
- Firefox version 98.1 for iOS/iPadOS 13 or later.
- Firefox Focus: Privacy browser 98.1 for iOS/iPadOS 13 or later.
- Microsoft Office for Mac v16.59 (w/security update for Word).
- Apple download page for Unitor Family Driver v3 (MIDI driver).
- Reality Converter Beta 4.
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
- Firefox 98.0.1 Update.
- Chrome 98.0.4758.132 Extended Stable Channel Update.
- Updates to libbluray and related libraries, libaacs and libbdplus.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.