|Archive of May 16th to 20th, 2022 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Updates/Articles =
|Final Cut Pro 10.6.3 update|
Info on Final Cut Pro 10.6.3 changes:
Requires macOS 11.5.1 or later.
- Improves reliability when using drag and drop to replace a transition.
- Improves reliability when dragging a transition onto a connected clip.
- Fixes an issue where custom sound effects do not always appear in the Sound Effects browser.
|Safari 15.5 for macOS Big Sur & Catalina|
Available via software update for Big Sur & Catalina. (Included in Monterey 12.4.)
Security fixes in Safari 15.5 for CVE-2022-26700, -26709, -26717, -26716, -26719.
There's also new WebKit features in Safari 15.5.
|macOS Monterey 12.4 Update|
Available via software update. Includes a very long list of Security fixes. (73 CVE's listed.)
Info from what's new in the updates for macOS Monterey 12.4.
"Monterey 12.4 includes enhancements to Apple Podcasts and bug fixes:
(Also see What's new for enterprise in macOS Monterey 12.4.)
- Apple Podcasts includes a new setting to limit episodes stored on your Mac and automatically delete older ones.
- Support for Studio Display Firmware Update 15.5, available as a separate update, refines camera tuning, including improved noise reduction, contrast, and framing
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices."
You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Monterey discussion forum
(VPN or 3rd party Security software may cause problems with OS or security updates.
Apple's article on VPN and 3rd party software issues & the usual advice on updates.
Even though I don't use 3rd party addons, I install macOS updates from a Safe Mode boot.)
|Apple Studio Display Firmware Update 15.5|
Info from what's new in firmware updates for Apple Studio Display.
Studio Display Firmware Update 15.5:
Article includes how to update the Studio Display's firmware.
- Refines camera tuning, including improved noise reduction, contrast, and framing.
- Minor stability improvements.
(Requires macOS Monterey 12.4 or later.)
|macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 (Security Update)|
Released via software update. What's new in Big Sur 11.6.6 says
"This update is recommended for all users and improves the security of macOS".
There's a very long list of security fixes in macOS Big Sur 11.6.6. (52 CVE's fixed.)
To get 11.6.6 instead of macOS 12.x, check "Other Updates" in Software Update panel.
You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Big Sur discussion forum.
FYI: Apple's Big Sur forum has many threads on problems opening attachments in Preview after the macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 update. (Example reports here, here, here, here, & here.)
Update: On June 9th, Apple released macOS 11.6.7 to fix this problem.
Big Sur 11.6.6 M1 Mac Mini Firmware Update
M1 Mac mini updated to macOS 11.6.6 (from 11.6.5) using Safe Mode.
macOS 11.6.6 updated the M1 mini firmware version to 7459.121.3.
(The OS loader version is still 6723.140.2.)
Software Update listed 11.6.6 update as 2.61 GB, & Safari 15.5 as 125.9 MB,
but the actual combined download was shown as 3.42 GB.
|macOS Catalina Security Update 2022-004 (with Download)|
Available via software update or download page below. (Link posted May 23.)
- About the security content of Security Update 2022-004 Catalina (37 CVE's fixed).
- Download Security Update 2022-004 Catalina (1.6 GB)
(After installing this update the Catalina build number is 19H1922.)
You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Catalina discussion forum
|HomePod Software Update 15.5|
From the article About HomePod Software updates for the 15.5 update:
"Software version 15.5 includes general performance and stability improvements."
Here's Apple's article on how to update HomePod.
You can check for feedback in Apple's HomePod forum.
(Our Tips page has a HomePod Apple Guides section.)
|iMovie 10.3.3 for macOS|
Mac iMovie version 10.3.3 for macOS 11.5.1 or later.
- improves reliability when using drag and drop to replace a transition.
|Xcode 13.4 Update|
Change info from app store page for Xcode 13.4 (macOS Monterey 12.0 or later)
(I assume the tvOS, watchOS and Monterey versions listed at post time are typos.)
"includes SDKs for iOS 15.5, iPadOS 15.5, tvOS 15.4, watchOS 8.5, and macOS Monterey 12.3, and bug fixes."
Also includes security fixes for Git (CVE-2022-24765) and IDE (CVE-2022-2674).
|= from my sponsor =|
|iOS 15.5, iPadOS 15.5, tvOS 15.5, watchOS 8.6 Updates|
|Apple/Products related News, Tips, Updates, PR
|This week's Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates
Topic based page of Guides, Tips & Troubleshooting for Mac & iPhone/iPad/watchOS Users.|
|Firefox 100.0.1 Update|
(There is a later Firefox version now.)
May 16, 2022 released Firefox 100.0.1 release notes lists Picture-in-Picture bug fixes.
(Also a security sandbox fix for Windows.)
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates & troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
May 9th to 13th, 2022 News Archive
- Safari Technology Preview 145.
- How to Prevent Cross-Site Tracking in macOS Catalina's Safari.
- iPod touch discontinued - available while supplies last.
- How to Fix a Disappearing Dock in macOS Monterey.
- Microsoft Office for Mac (365/2019) version 16.61.
- Master Mobile Video Editing with LumaFusion Professional NLE for iPad/iPhone.
- iOS Chrome browser 101.0.4951.58 for iOS/iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- WWDC22 special event submissions open.
- Chrome 101.0.4951.64 Stable Channel Update for Desktop.
- Chrome 100.0.4896.160 Extended Stable Channel Update for Mac & Windows.
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= MAC UPGRADES =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= New/Used Macs =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 8TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HD DIY Kits =
Notebook Drives & DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Video cards, Displays, Adapters, & Cables
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Docks & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!