|Latest: (Updates to Safari 14.1 new builds, News/Tip, Betas, Firefox/ESR, Big Sur, CCC)|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | macOS Updates/Tips/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|Safari 14.1 revised again (new build numbers)|
Originally released on April 26th for Mojave and Catalina, Safari 14.1 'updated'.
Link is new article on security fixes, with note on build numbers after installing:
(Another case where it should have been a higher version number.)
(article includes 2 webkit fixes.)
* Safari 14.1 includes the security content of Safari 14.1 (released April 26, 2021). After installing this update, the build number for Safari 14.1 is 15618.104.22.168.7 on macOS Catalina and 14622.214.171.124.7 on macOS Mojave."
|Apple Beta Updates|
Current Developer releases as of May 4, 2021.
Apple also has Public betas. See Beta FAQ for info on joining or unenrolling.
- macOS Big Sur 11.4 beta 2 (20F5055c)
(below from April 30th)
- iOS 14.6 beta 2 (18F5055b)
- iPadOS 14.6 beta 2 (18F5055b)
- watchOS 7.5 beta 2 (18T5555c)
- tvOS 14.6 beta 2 (18L5555c)
(Public beta version updates are usually shortly after developer releases.)
|macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 (build 20E241) released|
Available via software update. Info from What's new in macOS Big Sur.
"macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 provides important security updates & is recommended for all users."
Here's the article on security fixes in macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 (2 webkit fixes).
(If you have trouble installing the update, try updating from Safe Mode.
And if running any 3rd party Security software, disable it before updating.)
You can check for feedback in Apple's Big Sur forum.
(And for M1 Mac owners, also check the Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, & MacBook Air forums.)
|iOS 14.5.1, iPadOS 14.5.1, iOS 12.5.3, watchOS 7.4.1 (security fixes)
|Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.26 Update|
See CCC 5.1.26 release notes for details on fixes and improvements.
(More info on Carbon Copy Cloner 5 (including free 30 day trial) at bombich.com.)
|Micromat Drive Scope 1.2.12 update|
Changes in Drive Scope version 1.2.12 (use in-app update check):
- Fixed an application crash when updating to the latest drive database.
- Fixed a reported application crash for macOS 10.9 "Mavericks" users.
- Updated Sparkle update framework to version 1.26.0.
- Other minor fixes and enhancements.
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR (later first) [= skip =]
|Logic Pro 10.6.2 and MainStage 3.5.2 Updates
- Logic Pro version 10.6.2 Update for macOS 10.15.5 or later. (app store link)
- "This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes".
The release notes has a very long list of fixes & improvements (some M1 Mac related).
- MainStage version 3.5.2 Update for macOS 10.15.5 or later. (app store link)
- "This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes".
The release notes lists improvements to Stability/Reliability, Performance, Mixer, Plug-ins and Undo. The "General" improvements section has 13 items.
|HomePod Software Update 14.5|
Apple's about HomePod Software Updates for version 14.5
simply says it includes "general performance and stability improvements".
|Security Updates for macOS Catalina and Mojave|
Available via software update or the download pages below.
You can check for feedback in Apple's Mojave and Catalina forums.
(Some use the download updater and install from a Safe Mode boot.)
FYI: Posts in Apple's Mojave forum on Security Update 2021-003 fails with ERROR_7E7AEE96CA displayed in dialog with Catalina install "badge". (Mentions cause was using Mojave as a migration source for Catalina on a separate boot partition, leaving the source Mojave volume with a Catalina restore partition. A suggestion was installing macOS 10.14.6 Combo Update, then applying later updates, but this later reply did a fresh install of Mojave on a new partition instead.)
|macOS Big Sur 11.3 (build 20E232) released|
Available via software update. See What's new in macOS Big Sur 11.3 for a long list of changes, including AirTag support, iPhone/iPad apps options on M1 Macs, Xbox X/S Wireless Controller & Sony PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller support, Hibernation support for M1 Macs, About This Mac shows warranty status, AppleCare+ coverage in Service tab, & these fixes:
This release also fixes the following issues:
Here's the article on security fixes in macOS Big Sur 11.3 (long list).
- External 4K monitors may not display in full resolution when connected over USB-C.
- Login window may not display properly after restarting Mac mini (M1, 2020).
- Reminders created via Siri may be unintentionally set for early morning hours.
- iCloud Keychain might not turn off.
- AirPods audio routing to incorrect device for Automatic Switching.
- AirPods Automatic Switching notifications might be missing or duplicated.
- The Dwell feature may not work in the Accessibility Keyboard.
(Here's info on what's new for enterprise in macOS Big Sur.)
If you have trouble installing the update, try updating from Safe Mode.
And if running any 3rd party Security software, disable it before updating.
It's not listed but hopefully this fixes the CVM Server crashes on M1 Macs since v11.2 update.
(Example Apple forum threads here, here & here. Appears related to OpenGL.framework.)
|Safari 14.1, Xcode 12.5, iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, tvOS 14.5, watchOS 7.4, Apple TV 7.7|
= from my sponsor =
|Other News, Software/Firmware Updates, PR, OT (later first)|
|Recent Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first)
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
April 19th to 23rd, 2021 News Archive
- Apple "Spring Loaded" Event Video.
- All-new M1 chip iMac design with 24" 4.5K retina display.
- New M1 chip iPad Pro with 5G, & 12.9" Liquid Retina XDR display.
- Apple unveils the next generation of Apple TV 4K.
- Apple introduces AirTag (iPhone accessory to locate items).
- Apple Podcasts Subscriptions.
- iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini in a new purple.
- Firefox 88.0 and Firefox ESR 78.10 (both with security fixes).
- Op-Ed on Apple "Spring Loaded" Event .
- How to Use Finder Quick Actions and Finder Tags in macOS.
- Apple Celebrates Earth Day 2021.
- Company of Heroes for iPad now supports keyboard & mouse.
- Storage and Connectivity Solutions for New iPad Pro & iMac.
- Developers: Upcoming AppTrackingTransparency requirements.
- Chrome 90.0.4430.85 Stable Channel Update.
- Freeware VM VirtualBox version 6.1.20.
- Yamaha (Ethernet) LAN Monitor version 1.6.4.
- 05.60.20 Firmware Update for USA 2016 LG G6 OLED TV (info/DL).
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= MAC UPGRADES =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= New/Used Macs =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 8TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!