|News: Updates to Apple RC2s, MachineProfile, CCC, Apple PR, Pro Apps, Chrome|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | macOS Updates/Tips/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|Apple Release Candidates|
Current Developer releases as of Oct. 21, 2021.
(linked page has release notes for each.)
Apple also has Public betas. See Beta FAQ for info on joining or unenrolling.
- macOS Monterey RC 2 (21A559)
- iPadOS 15.1 RC 2 (19B75)
(below from Oct. 18)
- Xcode 13.1 RC (13A1030d)
- iOS 15.1 RC (19B74)
- watchOS 8.1 RC (19J572)
- tvOS 15.1 RC (19J572)
(Public version updates are usually shortly after developer releases.)
|Micromat MachineProfile 1.4.7 update|
Micromat MachineProfile (free profile app) version 1.4.7 update:
(Use in-app update check, or if from Mac App store, check for update there.)
Requirements: Intel & Apple Silicon Macs, OS X 10.9 or later, including macOS 11 Big Sur.
- Updated for macOS 12 Monterey support.
- Added number of ports for iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021).
- Updated location and machine identification strings.
- Other minor fixes and enhancements.
|Carbon Copy Cloner 6.0.4 Update|
This version of CCC adds official support for macOS 12 Monterey.
See CCC 6.0.4 release notes for a list of fixes/improvements.
(More info on Carbon Copy Cloner 6 (including free 30 day trial) at bombich.com.)
|Apple "Unleashed" Event - new MacBook Pro 14" and 16" [= skip =]|
- Watch the October 18, 2021 Apple Event (video)
- Introducing M1 Pro & M1 Max: the most powerful chips Apple has ever built (pr)
"Powering the all-new MacBook Pro, new chips feature up to a 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB of unified memory, ProRes acceleration, and industry-leading power efficiency".
- Game-changing MacBook Pro with M1 Pro & M1 Max delivers extraordinary performance and battery life, and features the world's best notebook display (pr)
- All new MacBook Pro 14" & 16" models, and tech specs page.
"The new MacBook Pro models with M1 Pro and M1 Max are available to order today on apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app. They will begin arriving to customers and will be in select Apple Store locations and Apple Authorized Resellers starting Tuesday, October 26. The new 14-inch MacBook Pro model starts at $1,999 (US), and $1,849 (US) for education; the 16-inch MacBook Pro model starts at $2,499 (US), and $2,299 (US) for education."
- Apple introduces HomePod mini in new bold & expressive colors (pr)
- Available starting in November, for $99.
- Introducing the next generation of AirPods (pr)
- Apple introduces the Apple Music Voice Plan (pr)
- "designed exclusively for Siri, $4.99 per month."
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR [= skip =]|
|Other News, Firmware and Software Updates, and PR (later first) [= skip =]|
|Little Snitch 5.3.1 Update|
October 16 dated Little Snitch 5.3.1 update for macOS Big Sur.
See the release notes for a long list of improvements and bug fixes.
|iOS 15.0.2, iPadOS 15.0.2 & watchOS 8.0.1 Updates
= from my sponsor =
|Recent Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first) [= skip =]|
Page of Guides, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.
- If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) (Oct 5)
- Set up Find My on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac (Oct 5)
- Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item (Oct 5)
- About HomePod Software Updates (v15, revised Sept. 30)
- Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty (Sept 30)
- originally titled "Vintage and Obsolete products".
- Mac Startup Key Combinations (Sept 27)
- updated for Apple silicon Macs (was for Intel-based Macs only).
- If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS (Sept 24)
- If your iPad won't turn on or is frozen (Sept 23)
- If you forgot the passcode on your iPad, or your iPad is disabled (Sept 23)
- Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service (Sept 23)
- How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (Sept 23)
"If you're using iOS or iPadOS 14.5 or later, you might now see the option to choose between two software update versions. This option allows you to choose between updating to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS 15 as soon as it's released, or continuing on iOS or iPadOS 14 while still getting important security updates for a period of time."
- iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 are compatible with these devices (Sept 23)
- iOS update and restore errors (Sept 23)
- if you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (Sept 23)
- If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (Sept 23)
- Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (Sept 23)
- Apple web server acknowledgements (security fixes) (Sept 22)
(new format no longer includes the domain/server that was affected.)
- Connect a wireless game controller to your Apple device (Sept 22)
- About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music (Sept 20)
- (How to) Update HomePod (Sept. 20)
- Upgrade to iCloud+ (Sept 20)
- iCloud+ plans and pricing (Sept 20)
- Downgrade or cancel your iCloud+ plan (Sept 20)
- What happens to your iCloud storage plan when you sign up for Apple One (Sept 20)
- What is Hide My Email? (Sept 20)
- How to Remove Activation Lock (Sept 20)
- About security content of macOS Big Sur 11.6 (revised Sept 20)
- About the security content of Security Update 2021-005 Catalina (revised Sept 20)
- About the security content of iOS 14.8 and iPadOS 14.8 (revised Sept 20)
- How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (Sept 20)
- If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (Sept 20)
- Set up an Apple Watch for a family member (Sept 20)
- Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch (Sept 20)
- Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch (Sept 20)
- Workout types on Apple Watch (Sept 20)
- Join Apple Arcade (Sept 20)
- Play games with Apple Arcade (Sept 20)
- Access your Apple Arcade gameplay data on all of your devices (Sept 20)
- Use widgets on your iPad (with iPadOS 15) (Sept 20)
- Use widgets on your iPhone and iPod touch (Sept 20)
- If your iPhone is stuck on the Apple logo (Sept 20)
- If you get a personalization error when reinstalling macOS on Apple M1 chip Mac (Sept 17)
- Find out which macOS your Mac is using (Sept 13)
- Exposure to vibrations, like those generated by high-powered motorcycle engines, might impact iPhone cameras (Sept 10)
- How to Use Apple products on enterprise networks (Sept 1)
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
October 4th to 8th, 2021 News Archive
- Firefox 93.0, Firefox ESR 91.2, & Firefox ESR 78.15 Updates.
- How to Reset the SMC on Intel and M1 Macs .
- iOS GarageBand version 2.3.12 (iOS/iPadOS 15.0 or later).
- Firefox Focus: Privacy browser v38.1 (iOS 13.0 or later).
- How to Check the Power Levels of Your macOS Bluetooth Accessories.
- Hands On: Apple TVOS 15 Spatial Audio and Sharing.
- Pixelmator Pro version 2.1.5 (macOS 10.14.4 or later).
- How to Erase Data on a Stolen Mac.
- iOS Chrome browser version 94.0.4606.76 (iOS 14.0 or later).
- Chrome 94.0.4606.71 Stable Channel Update for Desktop.
- LG C1/G1/R1 OLED TVs Firmware Update 03.20.16.
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= MAC UPGRADES =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= New/Used Macs =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 8TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!