|Updates: PS5 FW, Release Candidates, Mac iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Motion|
Mac Upgrades/Repair | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater/TVs | Apple Updates/Tips/Wi-Fi
= Recent Updates/Articles =
|Apple Release Candidates|
Current Developer releases as of Dec. 5, 2023.
(Release notes are on download pages.)
Apple also has Public betas. See Beta FAQ for info on joining or unenrolling.
- Xcode 15.1 Release Candidate (15C65)
- macOS 14.2 Release Candidate (23C63)
- iOS 17.2 Release Candidate (21C62)
- iPadOS 17.2 Release Candidate (21C62)
- watchOS 10.2 Release Candidate (21S364)
- tvOS 17.2 Release Candidate (21K364)
- iOS 16.7.3 Release Candidate (20H232)
- iPadOS 16.7.3 Release Candidate (20H232)
(Public beta version updates are usually shortly after developer releases.)
|Apple News and Press Releases (later first) [= skip =]|
|iMovie 10.4 for macOS|
Mac iMovie version 10.4 for macOS 13.5 or later. Version 10.4 changes are:
- Export HEVC and H.264 files faster by simultaneously processing video segments across available media engines (requires macOS Sonoma or later and a Mac with Apple M1 Max, M1 Ultra, M2 Max, M2 Ultra, or M3 Max).
|Final Cut Pro updates for Mac & iPad|
These updates were prompted in Apple's November 6th press release
Final Cut Pro takes video editing on Mac and iPad to the next level with powerful new features.
Final Cut Pro version 10.7 for macOS 13.5 or later. (app store link)
- See the release notes for 10.7 new features and fixes.
- Also see What's new in Final Cut Pro for Mac.
Final Cut Pro for iPad version 1.3 (requires iPadOS 16.6 or later).
- Dial in the perfect look with stunning new color-grading presets.
- Choose from a selection of new titles and generators.
- Increase editing efficiency by grouping connected clips into a connected storyline.
- Control stabilization in the pro camera mode.
- New Keyboard shortcuts (see app store page for list).
- Record voiceover and live audio directly in the timeline using the built-in iPad microphones
or external microphones.
|Mac Logic Pro version 10.8.1 Update|
The app store page for Logic Pro 10.8.1 (macOS 13.5 or later).
says "This update includes stability improvements and bug fixes".
The release notes for 10.8.1 has a very long list of fixes and improvements.
|Motion 5.7 update|
From the Motion 5.7 (macOS 13.5 or later) release notes for version 5.7:
- Title template backgrounds are now disabled by default.
- Fixes issue that caused FxPlug-based plug-ins to stop responding when you cancel an analysis.
- See improved results when using the Object Tracker3s all-new machine-learning model to analyze the movement of faces and other objects on Mac computers with Apple silicon.
- Also see What's new in Motion 5.7.
|Compressor 4.7 Update|
App store page for Compressor 4.7 (macOS 13.5 or later)
- See the release notes list of enhancements and fixes.
- Also see What's new in Compressor 4.7.
|Apple Pro Video Formats 2.3 Update Download [= skip =]|
Apple's posted Pro Video Formats 2.3 (8.5 MB) download.
"The Pro Video Formats package provides support for the following codecs that are used in professional video workflows:
That article is titled "Support for Metal on Mac, iPad, and iPhone".
* Requires a Mac computer that supports Metal: support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073"
- Apple ProRes RAW and ProRes RAW HQ*
- Apple Intermediate Codec
- Avid DNxHD® / Avid DNxHR® decoder
- AVC-Intra 50 / 100 / 200 / 4:4:4 / LT
- DVCPRO HD
- XDCAM EX / HD / HD422
- MPEG IMX
- Uncompressed 4:2:2
(Metal 3 Support lists macOS Ventura or later & iOS/iPadOS 16 or later.)
|Safari 17.1.2 for macOS Ventura and Monterey (security fixes)|
Security fixes in Safari 17.1.2 lists 2 CVE's that may have been exploited.
Check feedback in Apple's Safari forum, macOS Ventura & macOS Monterey forums.
(I've never had Safari's website prefs set to allow notifications from websites, but if you're seeing fake warning popups in your Mac's upper right display area, uncheck the allow notifications in Safari's website preferences. See stop unwanted Notifications.)
|macOS Sonoma 14.1.2 Update (bug and security fixes)|
Info from what's new in the updates for macOS Sonoma for version 14.1.2:
"Provides important bug fixes and security updates and is recommended for all users.."
About the security content of macOS Sonoma 14.1.2 lists 2 CVE's that may have been exploited.
(You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Sonoma discussion forum.)
|iOS 17.1.2 and iPadOS 17.1.2 Updates (security fixes)|
|Firefox updates for Mac and iOS/iPadOS (later first)|
|Other News, Software and Firmware Updates
|Firefox 120.0 & Firefox ESR 115.5 Updates|
|iOS/iPadOS Firefox Focus: Privacy Browser v120.0 Update|
|Recent Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first) [= skip =]
Topic based Apple Guides, Tips & Troubleshooting for Mac & iPhone/iPad/watch/tvOS Users.
- About Automatic Verification (Dec 1)
- How to Create a Bootable installer for macOS (Nov 30)
- macOS Sonoma, Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, El Capitan.
- About Lockdown Mode (Nov 30)
- Find out which macOS version your Mac is using (Nov 30)
- added macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.
- What is Screen Distance? (Nov 29)
- TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products (Nov 28)
- How to download and install macOS (Nov 27)
- Covers macOS 14 Sonoma to OS X Lion 10.7.
- About Security Keys for Apple ID (Nov 27)
- If an alert says Face ID has been disabled on your iPhone or iPad Pro (Nov 20)
If you see this message your iPhone or iPad might need an update or service.
- Support for Metal on Mac, iPad, and iPhone (Nov 17)
- How to find saved passwords and passkeys on your Mac (Nov 17)
- About Touch ID advanced security technology (Nov 15)
- How many displays can be connected to MacBook Pro (Nov 15)
- includes info on new M3 models.
- If your Mac starts up to an exclamation point in a circle (Nov 13)
- The firmware of your Mac needs to be revived.
- About firmware updates for AirPods (Nov 9)
- If your external display is dark or low resolution (Nov 8)
- What to do if your Mac is lost or stolen (Nov 8)
- How to Find the serial number of your Apple product (Nov 8)
- If iCloud Mail isn't working (Nov 8)
- Identify your iMac model (Nov 7)
- added new 2023 models (Mac15,5, Mac15,4)
- How to Use an 8K display with your Mac (Nov 7)
- If your Mac starts up to a blank screen (Nov 7)
- Use Wi-Fi 6E networks with Apple devices (Nov 7)
- includes list of Apple devices that support Wi-Fi 6E.
- Identify your Mac power adapter (Nov 7)
(USB-C, MagSafe, MagSafe 2, & MagSafe 3)
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates & troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
|Previous News Archive Summary:
November 13th to 17th, 2023 News Archive
- Safari Technology Preview 183.
- Apple Configurator version 2.17.
- Apple extends free Emergency SOS via satellite for existing iPhone 14 users.
- Meet the 2023 App Store Award finalists.
- Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles
- Microsoft Office for Mac v16.79.1 (Excel/Office Suite security fixes).
- LG C3 & G3 OLED TVs Firmware Update 03.20.17.
- Micromat MachineProfile version 1.4.22.
- Chrome 119.0.6045.159 Stable Channel Update for Mac.
- Chrome 118.0.5993.144 Extended Stable Channel Update.
- Chrome 119.0.6045.169 for iOS/iPadOS.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.