|Current News: (Sales/TV Updates, CCC 5.1.23, M1 Macs Memory, Little Snitch 5.0.3)
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | macOS Updates/Tips/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.23 Update|
See CCC 5.1.23 release notes for details on improvements and fixes.
Can make bootable Big Sur backups, and a native application on Apple Silicon.
(More info on Carbon Copy Cloner 5 (including free 30 day trial) at bombich.com.)
|Little Snitch version 5.0.3 Update|
November 23rd Little Snitch 5.0.3 update for macOS Big Sur.
The release notes lists improvements and several bug fixes.
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR (later first) [= skip =]
|Other News, Tips, Software/Firmware Updates, PR, OT (later first) [= skip =]|
- 2020 Holiday Specials & Shipping Cutoffs @ MacSales.com (sponsor pr)
- Best Buy has a Black Friday sale on Vizio OLED 4K UHD TVs
55" $899.99 ($400 off), and 65" $1499.99 ($500 off)
- 55" Sale ended 11/28 midnight CST. (There's some bugs in the current firmware.)
- Best Buy sale on Sony A8H OLED TVs still on as of 11/29 AM.
- 55" $1499.99 ($400 off) and 65" $1799.99 ($1000 off)
(Previous LG CX OLED TV sale still on as of 11/29 AM)
- 03.21.10 Firmware Update for 2020 LG BX OLED TVs
- To fix problems launching or installing apps in certain conditions.
- Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.4 for Mac macOS 10.15-10.12
- Fixed a port name of UR22C/UR44C/UR24C in Cubase 11 wasn't displayed correctly.
- 03.11.30 Firmware Update for 2020 LG CX/GX/WX OLED TVs (info & download)
- "Update to allow PC and Console gamers smooth VRR playback".
- What Is Apple's "Thunderbolt / USB 4" vs. PC-Windows Thunderbolt 4? (sponsor blog)
- Firefox Focus: Privacy browser for iOS v8.1.6 (app store)
- Dante Accelerator PCIe card Firmware v4.0.1 (Yamaha)
- You need to update the Dante Accelerator Driver for Mac to V2.5.2 or later.
In addition, V2.5.3 or later is required for macOS 10.14.4 or later.
- The Dante Firmware Update Manager does not support macOS 10.15.
(To use AIC128-D on macOS 10.15, update the firmware with another OS).
- Also see bottom of page for more Mac System Requirements.
(Including notes about use in a Thunderbolt case.)
- Malicious Python Code and Little Snitch Detection (isc.sans)
- Chrome 87.0.4280.67 Stable Channel Update (google)
- includes 33 security fixes and native support for Apple M1 devices.
- FYI: LG C9/E9/W9 & B9 TV Firmware Updates download page date changed.
- Download pages originally dated Oct. 29th & 30th, now dated Nov. 14th.
(Version number and change info still same as original posts.)
- About the security content of iTunes 12.11 for Windows (apple)
- Crucial P5 2TB SSD Review (storagereview)
- About the security content of iTunes 12.11 for Windows
- Sony Android TVs Firmware version 6.7140 (info and download)
- See list of changes (including Android™ 9.0).
- Price Cuts on LG CX model OLED TVs (BB sale still on as of Nov. 29 AM)
55" $1,399.99 ($300 off), 65" 1,899.99 ($600 off), & 77" 3,499.99 ($500 off).
A Costco sales flyer had them for $50 less, with a $100 Allstate (was SquareTrade) Plan.
IIRC, Costco also offers an additional year warranty and a 90 day return period.
(I also keep a list of Firmware Updates for LG OLED TVs, w/info & download pages.
And info on Uniformity/Banding, Tint, Stuck/Bad Pixels & making test images.)
|Windows Migration Assistant v184.108.40.206 for Big Sur|
Apple's posted Windows Migration Assistant v220.127.116.11 (Big Sur) (download page).
"This software will help you migrate data from a Windows PC running Windows.
The Migration Assistant will launch automatically after it has been installed.
For more information, please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087."
= from my sponsor =
OWC Envoy Pro Elektron
Fast, Tough Mini-Sized USB-C Bus-Powered SSD, from $99
|Safari Technology Preview 116 Update|
See the release notes for a complete list of improvements & bug fixes.
A download is available for macOS Big Sur and Catalina.
(If a previous version is installed, use software update in System Prefs.)
|Apple Beta Updates|
Current Developer releases as of Nov. 18.
Apple also has Public betas. See Beta FAQ for info on joining or unenrolling.
- tvOS 14.3 beta 2 (18K5556a)
- watchOS 7.2 beta 2 (18S5555c)
(below from Nov. 17)
- macOS Big Sur 11.1 beta (20C5048k)
- iOS 14.3 beta 2 (18C5054c)
- iPadOS 14.3 beta 2 (18C5054c)
(below from Nov. 12)
- Xcode 12.3 beta (12C5020f)
(Public beta version updates are usually shortly after developer releases.)
|Recent Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first) [= skip =]
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.
- How to Move your data from a Windows PC to your Mac
- How to reinstall macOS
- removed "from macOS Recovery" from article title,
and added instructions for Apple silicon Macs.
- Mac computers with Apple silicon
- About This Mac shows an item labeled Chip, followed by the name of the chip (M1)
- About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers
(added "on Intel-based Mac computers" to title)
- How to Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac
("This article applies only to Mac computers with an Intel processor")
- How to Reset the SMC (System Management Controller) of your Mac
("This article applies only to Mac computers with an Intel processor")
- Mac models with the Apple T2 Security Chip
- What's new in Apple Configurator 2.13.2
- See requirements for using this version.
- Identify your Mac mini model
- Added Mac mini (M1, 2020) - Macmini9,1.
- And Mac mini (M1, 2020) Tech Specs & User Guide.
- Identify your MacBook Pro model
- Added 2020 M1 model - MacBookPro17,1
- And MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) Tech Specs & User Guide.
- Identify your MacBook Air model
- Added MacBook Air (M1, 2020) - MacBookAir10,1.
- And MacBook Air (M1, 2020) Tech Specs & User Guide.
- How to create a bootable installer for macOS
- added Big Sur info.
- Safely open apps on your Mac
(was originally titled "About Gatekeeper")
- How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur
- How to Back up your Mac with Time Machine
- How to Restore your Mac from a backup
- Backup disks you can use with Time Machine
- (How to) Play HDR video on Mac
- Mac models that support HDR video on HDR10-compatible displays.
- How to get old versions of macOS
(Replaces all the previous articles on how to upgrade to older OS versions.)
|Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for macOS 10.13.6 (build w/Security Update 2020-006)|
Nov. 17, 2020 download page of graphics driver 318.104.22.168.40.140 for macOS 10.13.6.
(No build number listed, but for Security Update 2020-006's build 17G14042.)
The "Additional Information" tab on the download page has a step-by-step install guide.
Here's a direct download link for the 10.13.6 driver version 322.214.171.124.40.140.
(As of post time, the driver page's CUDA link goes to v418.105, but the latest Mac CUDA download as of 11/17/2020 is CUDA 418.163 from 5/10/2019 - or check for a CUDA update in the Nvidia prefs.)
This & previous macOS Nvidia drivers are on our Mac Nvidia Drivers downloads page.
|Firefox 83.0 and ESR 78.5 updates (includes security fixes)|
Nov. 17th Firefox 83.0 release notes lists new features, bug fixes and security fixes.
Also this note for macOS users:
"For users on macOS restoring a session with minimized windows, Firefox now uses much less power and you should see much longer battery life.
This release (83) will support emulation under Apple's Rosetta 2 that ships with macOS Big Sur. We are working toward Firefox being natively-compiled for these CPUs in a future release."
Also released is Firefox ESR 78.5 with "Various stability, functionality, and security fixes".
(The Other News list has a Nov. 17th Chrome 87 Update with native Apple M1 support.)
= from my sponsor =
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
November 9th to 13th, 2020 News Archive
- Little Snitch version 5.0.2 Update
- Final Cut Pro 10.5, Compressor 4.5, Motion 5.5, MainStage 3.5, Pro Video Formats 2.2
- Safari 14.0.1 Update for macOS Catalina and Mojave
- Security Update 2020-006 for macOS Mojave & High Sierra
- includes download pages for both updates.
- macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 and Xcode 12.2 Released
- Geekbench 5.3 Update (supports M1 chip Macs)
- Apple announces new Apple M1 Chip Based Macs
- Update to CCC article about Bootable Big Sur Backups
- iPhone and iPad apps are coming to Mac
- Firefox 82.0.3 and ESR 78.4.1 updates (security fixes)
- CNAME Cloaking and Bounce Tracking Defense
- Apple TestFlight iOS App v3.0.0
- A Closer Look at the November 2020 Apple Event
- Microsoft Office for Mac v16.43 (with security update for Excel)
- Use Your iPhone or iPad to Record Video Directly on Your Mac
- Yamaha ProVisionaire Touch iOS App v3.7.0
- Reuse, Recycle: Set Up a Mac mini as a Linux Server
- Chrome 86.0.4240.198 Stable Channel Update
- Security Updates for Adobe Connect
- Microsoft November 2020 Patch Tuesday
- Free Workshop: Mastering Your Home Studio Mixes
- OWC Acquires BRU Family of Backup, Archival, and Storage Solutions
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 8TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!