|Apple OS Updates from May 13, 2019 Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | macOS Updates/Tips/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|macOS Mojave 10.14.5, Security Update 2019-003 for 10.13.6/10.12.6 Released [= Skip =]|
Available via software update or the download pages below (10.14.5 Delta/Combo and 10.13.6/10.12.6 Security Updates).
(See below for doc on security fixes in 10.14.5 and Security Update 2019-003.) Here's info from the Mojave 10.14.5 release notes.
- Adds AirPlay 2 support for sharing videos, photos, music and more from your Mac directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV.
- Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view.
[C and US English only]
- Improves audio latency on MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018.
- Fixes an issue that prevented certain very large OmniOutliner and OmniPlan documents from rendering properly.
- Disables accessories with insecure Bluetooth connections.
- Fixes an issue that prevented resetting the user account password from the login window after using a personal recovery key (PRK) to unlock the FileVault volume.
- Fixes an issue that prevented the InstalledApplicationList MDM command from recognizing that updates are available for apps installed via VPP.
(Safari 12.1.1 is included in the 10.14.5 update, available for 10.13.6/10.12.6 via software update.)
Downloads for the Updates:
Related Articles on Security Updates and Mitigations
- About the security content of macOS Mojave 10.14.5, Security Update 2019-003 High Sierra, Security Update 2019-003 Sierra
- Additional mitigations for speculative execution vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs
"- Apple has released security updates in macOS Mojave 10.14.5 to protect against speculative execution vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs...
- macOS Mojave 10.14.5 includes security updates for Safari, and the option to enable full mitigation...(see article below)
- Security Update 2019-003 High Sierra and Security Update 2019-003 Sierra include the option to enable full mitigation."
(The article also lists "Unsupported Mac models" (2009-2010 MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro) that may be able to install security updates, but are "unable to support the fixes and mitigations due to a lack of microcode updates from Intel".)
- How to enable full mitigation for Microarchitectural Data Sampling (MDS) vulnerabilities
- This option is available for macOS Mojave, High Sierra, and Sierra after installing security updates. (See section on "How to enable full mitigation for MDS in macOS")
- Note the section on Performance impact of disabling hyper-threading.
"Testing conducted by Apple in May 2019 showed as much as a 40 percent reduction in performance with tests that include multithreaded workloads and public benchmarks. Performance tests are conducted using specific Mac computers. Actual results will vary based on model, configuration, usage, and other factors."
As before, some have had problems installing the Security Update. A tip was to try installing from a safe mode boot. (Hopefully there won't be a need for another (revised) update like they did with Security Update 2019-002.)
FYI: Here's a Tip for VirtualBox problems with macOS 10.14.5.
(Again Apple released macOS and iOS/tvOS/watchOS updates simultaneously so servers may be swamped initially.)
FYI on Nvidia Web Driver Updates:
(There's been no Mojave Nvidia web driver updates yet, but a reminder to 10.13.6/10.12.6 users of Nvidia's web graphics drivers.)
New OS updates or later build numbers after Security Updates typically break currently installed Nvidia web graphics drivers. I'd switch to the default Apple driver and reboot before updating, if your card is supported with the default drivers. If not, wait for a Nvidia driver update. (Some non-Mac EFI cards are not supported by default OS X drivers.)
Updated Nvidia Drivers:
See the May 15th dated Nvidia Graphics Drivers on this page.
= from my sponsor =
|Safari 12.1.1, iOS 12.3, tvOS 12.3, watchOS 5.2.1, Apple TV 7.3 released|
- About the security content of Safari 12.1.1
"Available for macOS Sierra 10.12.6, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, and included in macOS Mojave 10.14.5"
- iOS 12.3 release notes and security fixes
- includes support for AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and features a redesigned Apple TV app. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
- tvOS 12.3 release notes and security fixes
- includes general performance and stability improvements and this feature:
Apple TV app: The all new Apple TV app gives you one place to watch all of your favorite shows and movies across all of your devices. Subscribe to just the Apple TV channels you want. Browse thousands of titles from the iTunes Store that you can buy or rent. And get recommendations for shows and movies based on everything you watch.
- watchOS 5.2.1 release notes and security fixes.
This update includes new features, improvements and bug fixes:
- ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 now available in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland and Slovakia.
- Irregular heart rhythm notifications now available in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland & Slovakia.
- Fixes an issue where the numbers on the Explorer face would not appear for some users.
- Disables accessories with insecure Bluetooth connections.
- Apple TV (3rd generation) Software Update 7.3 (with WiFi & Bluetooth security fixes)
This update includes general performance and stability improvements and this feature:
Apple TV app: Now available on Apple TV (3rd generation), the Apple TV app gives you one place to watch all of your favorite shows and movies across all of your devices. Subscribe to just the Apple TV channels you want. Browse thousands of titles from the iTunes Store that you can buy or rent. And get recommendations for shows and movies based on everything you watch.
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor, your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
= Back to Current News =
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!