|Archive of October 25th to 29th, 2021 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|Safari Technology Preview 134|
See the release notes for a list of changes, fixes and improvements.
A download is available for macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey.
(If a previous version is installed, use software update in System Prefs.)
|Safari 15.1 for macOS Big Sur and Catalina|
About the security content of Safari 15.1 for macOS Big Sur and Catalina.
- Webkit fixes for CVE-2021-30887, -30888, -30889, and -30890.
(Article on security fixes revised Nov. 4, 2021.)
You can check Apple's macOS Safari discussion forum for feedback.
(If using Safari extensions, check if they're compatible with Safari 15.1.)
|macOS Monterey 12.0.1, Big Sur 11.6.1, & Security Update 2021-007 Catalina|
Apple's security updates page on Oct. 25, 2021 listed these updates.
The articles on security fixes in these updates were later revised.
(VPN or 3rd party Security software may cause problems with OS or security updates.
Read Apple's article on VPN and 3rd party software issues & the usual advice on updates.)
|iOS 14.8.1/iPadOS 14.8.1, iOS 15.1/iPadOS 15.1, watchOS 8.1 updates|
(VPN or 3rd party Security software often has problems with OS or security updates.
Read Apple's article on VPN and 3rd party software issues.)
|HomePod Software Update 15.1|
Info from About HomePod Software Updates for version 15.1:
"HomePod Software version 15.1 includes includes performance and stability improvements and support for these new audio features for HomePod:
Here's Apple's article on how to update HomePod.
- Spatial audio with Dolby Atmos support on HomePod.
- Lossless playback with Apple Music on HomePod and HomePod mini."
You can check for feedback in Apple's HomePod forum.
(Our Tips page has a HomePod Apple Guides section.)
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR|
= from my sponsor =
|This week's Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates [= skip =]
Topic based page of Guides, Tips & Troubleshooting for Mac & iPhone/iPad/watchOS Users.
- macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers
- How to Extend your AppleCare+ coverage
- If your AppleCare+ plan will expire soon, you might be able to continue coverage.
- About Mac power adapters (added MagSafe 3 info)
(was titled "Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook")
- If your MagSafe cable or power adapter isn't working (added MagSafe 3 info)
- Adapters for the Thunderbolt 4, Thunderbolt 3, or USB-C port on your Mac
- Added Thunderbolt 4 info.
- Connect to HDMI from your Mac
- Identify the ports on your Mac
- Added Thunderbolt 4 info.
- About USB on Mac computers
- info on USB 1.1, USB 2, USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.1 Gen 2, and USB 4.
- About the SD and SDXC card slot on your Mac
- Added 2021 MacBook Pro.
- Identify your MacBook Pro model
- Added 2021 MacBook Pro models (14" & 16").
- Mac computers with Apple silicon
- Added 2021 MacBook Pro models (14" & 16").
- How to Connect a display to your Mac
- Change the refresh rate on your MacBook Pro or Apple Pro Display XDR
- Use reference modes with your MacBook Pro with Liquid Retina XDR display or Apple Pro Display XDR
- Use FaceTime on Mac
- Connect to the Internet with your Mac
- Set up Exchange ActiveSync on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Play HDR video on Mac
- Lists Mac models that support HDR video on HDR10-compatible displays and TVs.
- Find the model and serial number of your Mac
- About iCloud Private Relay
(Currently in beta in iOS/iPadOS 15, & macOS Monterey. Not available in all regions.)
- How to move your content to a new Mac (using Migration Assistant)
- How to Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac (using Windows Migration Assistant)
- What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac
- (How to) Free up storage space on your Mac
- What's new in the updates for macOS Monterey (v12.0.1 info)
- What's new for enterprise in macOS Monterey (v12.0.1)
- What's new in the updates for macOS Big Sur (added 11.6.1 note)
- How to upgrade to macOS Monterey
- How to Update macOS on Mac
- How to Create a Bootable installer for macOS
- Covers macOS Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, and El Capitan.
- How to get old versions of macOS
- added macOS Big Sur.
- How to reinstall macOS
- Has separate instructions for Apple silicon Macs and Intel CPU Macs.
- About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers
with link to macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon.
- How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility
- How to erase a Mac with Apple silicon
- How to erase an Intel-based Mac
- Erase all content and settings on Mac (without erasing macOS)
- If your Mac starts up to a blank screen
- How to set a firmware password on your Mac
- For Intel processor Macs only.
- Fonts included with macOS Big Sur (archived Oct. 25, 2021)
- Fonts included with macOS Catalina (archived Oct. 25, 2021)
- If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- View and edit your Access Point Name (APN) on your iPhone and iPad
- How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro
- Change the settings of your AirPods and AirPods Pro
- Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch
- Use FaceTime with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- About HomePod Software Updates (added 15.1 info)
- About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music
- Connect a wireless game controller to your Apple device
- If your iPad won't turn on or is frozen
|Other News, Reviews, Software and Firmware Updates
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
October 18th to 22nd, 2021 News Archive
- All new MacBook Pro 14" and 16" with M1 Pro & M1 Max.
- M1 Pro & M1 Max: the most powerful chips Apple has ever built.
- New MacBook Pro 14" & 16" tech specs.
- Apple introduces HomePod mini in colors ($99).
- Apple intros next generation of AirPods.
- Final Cut Pro 10.6, Logic Pro 10.7, Compressor 4.6, Motion 5.6.
- Logic Remote App 1.5.2 (long list of improvements).
- Apple press release on Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro updates.
- Mac iMovie version 10.3 update (new features, M1 Pro/Max optimization).
- Mac GarageBand version 10.4.4 update (adds 8 Producer Packs).
- How to find saved PWs using the macOS Keychain app.
- Carbon Copy Cloner 6.0.4 Update (supports Monterey).
- Little Snitch 5.3.1 Update for Monterey & Big Sur.
- Micromat MachineProfile 1.4.7 update (supports Monterey).
- iOS Chrome browser 95.0.4638.50 (for iOS/iPadOS 14.0 or later).
- Freeware VM VirtualBox 6.1.28 update.
- Yamaha RX-S602/RX-S602D slimline AV receiver Firmware Update 1.40.
- OWC AUX Power Cables for Powering PCIe Slots.
- LG CX/GX/WX OLED TVs Firmware Update 04.30.10.
- LG BX OLED TV Firmware Update 04.30.10.
- Chrome 95.0.4638.54 Stable Channel Update for Desktop .
- Chrome 94.0.4606.101 Extended Stable Channel Update for Desktop.
- Panasonic 4K/UHD Players Tips & Firmware page updated.
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= MAC UPGRADES =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= New/Used Macs =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 8TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!