|October 24th to 28th, 2022 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Updates/Articles =
|Final Cut Pro 10.6.5, Compressor 4.6.3, and Motion 5.6.3 updates|
(All require macOS 11.5.1 or later. * Denotes an item that requires macOS Ventura.)
- Final Cut Pro 10.6.5 (app store link).
- Supports faster exporting of H.264 or HEVC on Macs with Apple silicon.
- Increases stability when disconnecting a Sidecar display on Intel Macs.
- Improves performance when editing on a Mac with an ambient light sensor.
- There's also a Photos browser related fix listed in the release notes.)
- Compressor 4.6.3 (app store link)
(Items with * requires MacOS Ventura.)
- Adds support for HEVC 8-bit 4:2:2 encoding.
- Adds support for multi-pass HEVC 4:2:2 encoding*.
- Changes the default HEVC encoder type to Faster.
- Adds support for previewing the transparency of an HDR video*.
- Fixes an issue where you may be unable to submit a batch when certain directories don't have read/write permissions.
(Same info in the release notes.)
- Motion 5.6.3 (app store link)
- Includes stability and performance improvements.
- Addresses an issue in the Save As panel, where the Save and Cancel buttons were unreadable in certain languages.
(Above info from the 5.6.3 release notes.)
|Apple Pro Video Formats 2.2.4 Update Download|
Apple's posted Pro Video Formats 2.2.4 (8.5 MB) download.
"The Pro Video Formats package provides support for the following codecs that are used in professional video workflows:
* Requires a Mac computer that supports Metal: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073
- Apple ProRes RAW and ProRes RAW HQ*
- Apple Intermediate Codec
- Avid DNxHD® / Avid DNxHR® decoder
- AVC-Intra 50 / 100 / 200 / 4:4:4 / LT
- DVCPRO HD
- XDCAM EX / HD / HD422
- MPEG IMX
- Uncompressed 4:2:2
|Safari 16.1 for macOS Big Sur and Monterey|
Released via software update for Big Sur and macOS Monterey.
- About Security fixes in Safari 16.1 lists 5 CVEs.
(Security article updated Oct. 27th to add 1 more CVE.)
There's also an article on WebKit Features in Safari 16.1
(Sometimes Safari updates can break 3rd party extensions. Check for issues with the software's developer and at Apple's Safari discussion forums & related macOS forums.)
|macOS Ventura 13 released|
Released via software update. See new features in macOS Ventura.
- About the security content of macOS Ventura lists 124 CVE's fixed.
(Security article updated Oct. 27th to add 12 more CVEs.)
- macOS Ventura Home Page with compatibility info.
- What's new in the updates for macOS Ventura.
- What's new for enterprise in macOS Ventura.
(Apple updated How to Download macOS to include Ventura.
And added Ventura to Create a Bootable installer for macOS.)
- Apple's new macOS Ventura discussion forum.
(VPN or 3rd party Security software may cause problems with OS or security updates.
Apple's article on VPN and 3rd party software issues & the usual advice on updates.)
This is a major OS Upgrade, so you may want to wait before upgrading a Mac you rely on.
(Some 3rd party software may be broken by OS updates - check vendor for any update/info.)
|macOS Monterey 12.6.1 Update (bug & security fixes)|
What's new for enterprise in macOS Monterey lists 4 bug fixes in 12.6.1.
(At post time, What's new in the updates for macOS Monterey has no 12.6.1 info.)
About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.1 lists 12 CVE's fixed.
(Security article updated Nov. 1st and Oct. 27th to add 7 more CVEs.)
You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Monterey discussion forum.
|macOS Big Sur 11.7.1 Update (security fixes)|
Apple's article on Security fixes in macOS Big Sur 11.7.1 lists 8 CVE's fixed.
- Security article updated Oct. 27, 2022. (Added 5 CVEs.)
(To get 11.7.1 instead of an Upgrade, check "Other Updates" in Software Update panel.)
If the update doesn't show, try checking from a Safe Mode boot.
You can check feedback in Apple's macOS Big Sur discussion forum.
FYI: On an M1 Mini running macOS Big Sur 11.7, software update shows macOS 11.7.1 update is 11.49 GB. (Previous Big Sur updates on the M1 mini have been around 3.4 GB. I guess the macOS Big Sur 11.7.1 "update" is a complete macOS installer.)
|iMovie 10.3.5 for macOS|
Mac iMovie version 10.3.5 for macOS 11.5.1 or later.
- Import Magic Movie and Storyboard Projects from iMovie for iOS/iPadOS.
- Stability and Performance improvements.
|iMovie 3.0.1 for iOS/iPadOS 16.0 or Later|
Also released is iMovie version 3.0.1 for iOS/iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- Apply four new dynamic styles that include title layouts, fonts, filters, color palettes and music to Magic Movie or Storyboard movies.
- Fixes an issue where media from a Photos album would be placed in non-chronological order in a Magic Movie project.
- Fixes an issue in which Magic Movie and Storyboard movies in the viewer would not appear on external displays during playback.
- Includes stability and performance improvements.
|Updates to Pages, Numbers & Keynote apps for Mac and iOS/iPadOS|
(Mac apps require macOS 12.0 or later. iOS apps require iOS/iPadOS 15.0 or later.)
|HomePod Software Update 16.1|
From the article About HomePod Software updates for the version 16.1 update:
"Software version 16.1 adds support for Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard that enables a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems. This update also includes performance and stability improvements."
Here's Apple's article on how to update HomePod.
You can check for feedback in Apple's HomePod forum.
(Our Tips page has a HomePod Apple Guides section.)
|Windows Migration Assistant v22.214.171.124 (macOS Ventura & Monterey) Download|
Apple's posted Windows Migration Assistant v126.96.36.199 (Monterey & Ventura) (57MB) download.
"This software will help you migrate data from a Windows PC running Windows.
The Migration Assistant will launch automatically after it has been installed.
For more information, please see Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac.
- macOS Monterey or macOS Ventura
- Windows 7 and later"
|iOS 16.1, iPadOS 16.1, tvOS 16.1, and watchOS 9.1 Updates|
|iOS 15.7.1 and iPadOS 15.7.1 (security fixes)|
|This week's Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first)|
Topic based page of Guides, Tips & Troubleshooting for Mac & iPhone/iPad/watchOS Users.
- Support for Metal on Mac, iPad, and iPhone
- How to Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad
- How to Create a Bootable installer for macOS
- Covers macOS Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, and El Capitan.
- How to verify the authenticity of manually downloaded Apple software updates
- About iCloud Private Relay
- Identify your iPad model
- If your iPhone or iPad won't update
- How to enable the root user or change the root password on Mac
- About background updates in macOS
- Covers Security-configuration updates and System data files.s
- If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS
- How to Download macOS
- Download and install current or previous versions of the Mac operating system.
- Covers macOS Ventura 13 to OS X Lion 10.7.
- Update macOS on Mac
- How to use an external graphics processor with your Mac
- Update to the latest version of Safari
("You can get it by updating or upgrading macOS, iOS, or iPadOS.")
- Block pop-up ads and windows in Safari
- If Safari doesn't open a webpage or isn't working as expected
- Find out which macOS your Mac is using
- Added macOS Ventura 13.0, macOS Monterey 12.6.1 and macOS Big Sur 11.7.1.
- macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers
- How to free up storage space on your Mac
- If you can't start up from macOS Recovery
(originally titled "About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers")
- If your Mac starts up to error -1008F
(was titled "If you try macOS Recovery over the Internet, and Mac shows error -1008F")
- About Activation Lock for Mac
- What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac
- Connect a wireless game controller to your Apple device
- Connect a wireless Xbox, PlayStation, or other Bluetooth game controller to your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Mac.
- Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices
- Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- Set up Find My on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac
- (How to) Use FileVault to encrypt your Mac startup disk
- Added separate instructions for macOS Ventura.
- Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac
- added Ventura to Windows Migration Assistant download.
(See above updated Migration Assistant Download for Ventura.)
- Add an accessory to the Home app
- now includes Matter accessories.
(Matter support added in HomePod software update 16.1.)
- How to update your iPhone or iPad
- If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad
(No longer includes iPod touch)
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates & troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
|Previous News Archive Summary:
October 17th to 21st, 2022 News Archive
- New Apple TV 4K, M2 iPad Pro, New iPads.
- VirtualBox 7.0.2 Update (with macOS Host fixes).
- Safari Technology Preview 156.
- Firefox 106.0.1 and Firefox ESR 102.4
- iOS Firefox v106.0 and iOS Firefox Focus Privacy Browser v106.0.
- App Store Connect Update.
- CCC Blog post on version 6.1.3 support for macOS Ventura.
- Apple Music & Mercedes-Benz bring premium immersive Spatial Audio to drivers.
- 2016 LG G6 OLED TVs Firmware Update 05.60.35.
- LG BX OLED TVs Firmware Update 04.40.18.
(Applicable Models List also includes many LG LCD TVs)
- LG CX/GX/WX OLED TVs Firmware Update 04.40.20.
- LG ZX OLED TVs & NANO LCD TVs Firmware Update 04.40.20.
- LG B6 OLED TVs & UH6330/7650/7700 LCD TVs Firmware Update 05.65.15.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
= Popular Links =
Dual M.2 NVMe
SSD PCIe Card
(Mac Pro 5,1)
LG OLED TV Firmware
LG OLED TV Tips
Audio/Home Theater Updates
TV, AVR, and Disc Player Tips